Incubation question - Kinda newbie

AlleysFarm

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 29, 2012
Demotte, IN
I did have a successful hatch last year of some Pekin, Rouen eggs... :)

So I bought some eggs off eBay they were supposed to be sent priority mail ended up arriving a week late. Seller barely wrapped the eggs and I was surprised I only had one broken. However one was huge I figured double yolk and sure enough it was so disposed of it. Well I set them on Xmas so I would be going into day four. From what I can see from candeling I see no veining, no blk dot, nothing. Two are clearly see through, but some are very dark brown so it's hard to candle through them, strange thing though my brown layers (I know are infertile) I can see almost through the shell. I figure given the long transit time and rough handling through USPS (mail lady ran them up to me xmas eve and the box was jiggling the whole way) that they are no longer viable. Should I still have hope?

I should have just looked here and purchased some but hatched some ducklings last year without any problems.. :(

It sounds as if many factors are working against you. If they remain cclear after another 4 or 5 days - no hope. Good luck. Shipped eggs are always a crapshoot.

I did have a successful hatch last year of some Pekin, Rouen eggs... :)

So I bought some eggs off eBay they were supposed to be sent priority mail ended up arriving a week late. Seller barely wrapped the eggs and I was surprised I only had one broken. However one was huge I figured double yolk and sure enough it was so disposed of it. Well I set them on Xmas so I would be going into day four. From what I can see from candeling I see no veining, no blk dot, nothing. Two are clearly see through, but some are very dark brown so it's hard to candle through them, strange thing though my brown layers (I know are infertile) I can see almost through the shell. I figure given the long transit time and rough handling through USPS (mail lady ran them up to me xmas eve and the box was jiggling the whole way) that they are no longer viable. Should I still have hope?

I should have just looked here and purchased some but hatched some ducklings last year without any problems.. :(

how was the temp of the eggs when you got them? Was they cold like being sat in a truck all day or was they wrapped good enough to still be warm? I would give them a few days and then candle again. You should see the veining and black dot by then. If not then i would say they are bad eggs and would contact the seller and let them know asap.

They were slightly cool but I let them set to room temp at least 16 hours prior to setting them.. I may have seen a slight veining this evening but my eyes could be playing tricks.. lol

Ok so the two frizzle ones may have veining and dots.. my eyes just don't want to focus.. the drk brown eggs are near impossible to see through all I see is a dark mass.. going to candle again in a few days..

if it helps improve the viewing, make sure the room is really dark, put a blanket over your head if it will help?
and make sure the light you are using is nice and bright, but doesn't leak from the box or source too much...or it will work against you, especially for those dark shells.

Candling too early can make you feel disappointed. You really can't see much til day 7ish? But by day 10, I would think you'd see something, or be taking out the duds so they don't form too much off gas for the rest of the eggs.

good luck. It's heart breaking to see nothing happening. But not the end of the world if you give them full time and 'wait and see'.

I'm thinking about shipped eggs for restarting when I do get going in a new place, and some of these stories do make me nervous, but I will probably still take the chance to see what happens.
Everything is a learning curve, and nothing every guaranteed. (either a win or a lose)

Crossing my fingers for you and your eggs.
Jenny

Well definite activity in the Frizzle Cochin egg, very visible embryo and veining, some veining in the other Cochin egg hard to see embryo, the browns I can see some darkness in the egg but not much else, I'm using one of those LED mag lights in a pitch black room.. eyes strain trying to see anything lol but I can definitely see differences in the dark brn eggs ie: more light passing through others where I cannot see any dark spot to hardly being able to see through some. I figure I have till Jan. 15th at least :) I was looking at buying one of those Brinsea ovascopes they look so COOL!

Back
Top Bottom