Incubation ?????

Flashy2003

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 31, 2010
Connecticut
Hi, I am completely new to this hobby and I fear I'm in to deep all ready. Originally i was just going to try to find some bearded silkies already hatched. But now I'm thinking of trying to buy some eggs and hatch them myself. Im am starting to look at incubators and I found this one on eBay. So my question is how would I go about controlling the humidity in an incubator like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-HOVA-...253?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e59cbdc15.

There is a tray under the wire that the eggs sit on in that bator. There are little areas in the tray that you fill with water. How much water = how high the humidity goes. I have one. I never have a problem with humidity. The temp does seem to flexuate a little though. There should be instructions in the bator about what areas to fill if not it's on the website.

it comes with really good instructions But you want to make sure you get one that has the fan also. that incubator will work but it will have heat layers. At the top of the incubator will be about 102 or higher where as at the screenlevel the temp will be like only 90. A fan will help it keep a uniform temp throughout the bator. Be sure you get a good thermometer. The one supplied is usually way off. Also you will heed a hydrometer. I would look into the Hovabator Genesis 1588 you will be much happier with your results.

no, get the fan all ready installed, a fan kit is a pain in the butt. can i ask why ebay? GQF is the maker, and will guarantee your new 'bator. plus the thermometer is a house hold one not a incubator thermometer

Last edited:
I'm not going through your typical places for incubators but I am getting a really good deal... It was $72.95 total...

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...ubators/-/turbofan-hova-bator-incubator2362n/

Then you can get a turner for it if you don't want to turn them manually... Personally, I would rather be able to hatch more eggs and just manually turn them... With turner you can do 42 eggs.. Without turner you can do up to 50...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

manual turning is OK but if you hatch, like serama, your hatch rates drop like a rock because they are a very touchy, and can't handle the up and down temps when you turn them, and if you jiggle them you kill them

Quote:
Why is that? Do seramas not turn or rotate their eggs while they are on the nest? I was always under the impression that hens move their eggs around so that the embryo does not get stuck to the shell and can move around... Also, do they stay on the nest for the full 21 days, without pooping or eating?

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Quote:
I always search eBay. Ive never had any problems with eBay that aren't resolved thanks to pay pal. All that for around $120 isn't a bad deal but I'm gonna keep looking around any way.

Back
Top Bottom