Incubator "malfunction" - did I lost my eggs?

aja19919

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 22, 2011
My apologies if this answer is somewhere in the forum, I just don't have time to search. After losing 24 eggs to a power outage I started again with duck eggs on 2.14. I added turkey eggs on 2.26.12. This morning, stupid me accidently unplugged the incubator and when I got home (8 hours later) my temp had dropped to 55. I've since plugged it back in and the temp is back to 95.

Have I lost the whole lot?

Thank you
Amy
Seattle WA

My apologies if this answer is somewhere in the forum, I just don't have time to search. After losing 24 eggs to a power outage I started again with duck eggs on 2.14. I added turkey eggs on 2.26.12. This morning, stupid me accidently unplugged the incubator and when I got home (8 hours later) my temp had dropped to 55. I've since plugged it back in and the temp is back to 95.

Thank you
Amy
Seattle WA

There is a good chance they will still hatch. I lost power for 16 hours last year and all of my eggs hatched. My temp did not get that low because my incubator was in a heated room. Don't give up on them until you are sure they are dead. You can candle them to see if there is any movement. Good luck.

Thank you
Amy
Seattle WA

Anxiously waiting for an update.
hu.gif

While I can't imagine it being great for eggs, I can only imagine that it was a slow decline from 100 to 55 and just because the incubator was 55 degrees inside doesn't necessarily mean that the eggs ever got that cold internally. I wouldn't give up yet and candle for progress here in the next few days.

Thank you for the replies. I don't have the best candling skills, but will let you know if anything hatches.

Just wanted to thank everyone that contributed to my post, I know it must be tiring to answer the same types of questions all the time. None of my eggs have hatched. Some did develop but just died in the shell I guess. I am very disappointed that I lost several Muscovey, a doz Marans, a doz blue silkie, 2 Australian spotted, 6 Royal Palm turkey and probably the 11 call duck eggs I was incubating for a friend. There was a bit of $ in that incubator along w/ plans of building up my egg production and other poulty avenues.

I have hatched chicks in it before so didn't think I wouldn't be able to again, however, the top was stepped on by a large dog and all I thought was that he broke the styrofoam and no big deal. It wasn't until I started to check the temps from other locations (this entire time I only checked one spot) that I realized that half the incubator was probably a good 12 degrees lower than the other half.

Time to start saving my pennies and get a better incubator

:)

Amy

Sorry for such a big loss. I had a dog destroy one of my incubators. I had it outside soaking with some water in it and my lab/pyranes mix desided she wanted to go for a soak too and put her feet in it and was pawing at it and broke a bunch of the styrofome off the side.

Back
Top Bottom