Incubator settings, first attempt for Guineas

I just hatched guineas. My temp was 99. Humidity was 65% for 25 days and 80% for 3 days. Stop turning on Day 25. I have a wonderful hatch of pearl guineas.

Good luck!

Laurie

I just finished my first hatch of them. I set 14 eggs. 7 of the 14 were not fertile. I hatched 6 of 7. One died soon after hatching.
Another one was messed up. It was dizzy acting and could not walk. I culled it today.

So I got 4 live keets out of 7 fertile eggs. Not very good hatch rate.

I am trying to find more eggs for a second chance. I am not going to get more from the same guy. 7 out of 14 unfertile is just bad.

Darin

In the same predicament the old man i am getting my eggs from tomarrow to me 21 days so i'm glad i saw this and also i put a turbo fan in my hovabator and can't remember but i think with that i'm supposed to keep both water troughs full for the entire incubation period.

You guys did better than me. I set 42 eggs, 21 turned out to be infertile, and of the other 21 I got 4, 2 of which we had to help out of the shell. They're doing fine now. That attempt was using the old fill one channel of the tray in the Hovabator with water. I tried dry incubation with my chicken eggs and that's working better, so, I've set another 24 guinea eggs and we shall see.

Quote:
Is your hovabator still air or turbofan? seems to evap. alot faster with the fan and i've had alot of shells come up to dry at hatch time i don't have any way to read my humidity so i just try to keep full. I also lost one of the vent plugs somewhere.

It's got a fan. The humidity upstairs in the room they were in was over 60 but the last 2 to hatch were stuck to the shells. I'll try to really crank up the humidity at the end. It's working well with the chicks I'm hatching.

mine was always set up in the cool dry basement and now garage (similar humidity/temp) so being a in a humid room may make a difference (hoping cats don't come in and mess with the keets before i can sell, i lost a blue sumatra i hatched because the cats got in the brooder.
sad.png
As soon as i get my own place to raise birds it will be 100% cat free cant count the birds i've lost to them.

Last edited:
I am picking up 12 eggs tomorrow and be putting them in the bator for monday morning, hope all goes well. this will be my first attempt

I incubated guinea eggs with my chicken eggs, so 99.5 in a forced air. Humidity at 35-45% for the first 25 days, then increased to 55-65% in the still air hatcher. I had some pips when I moved them to the hatcher at the end of day 25, since I didn't expect any to hatch until day 28. The 8 that went into the hatcher took 3 days to all hatch. Started with 12, 4 were clear, 8 hatched and doing well, so 100% for the fertile ones.

Back
Top Bottom