Incubator Temperature Issues!

Wow so many replies already.
Ok so it's fan forced incubator- and for some reason I can't seem to find out what brand it is.
I swapped the thermometers around and the higher one dropped by 0.5C/1F but the lower one didnt change. 
Something that is now worrying me is the incubator doesnt feel warm. My broody box beside it (which these same thermometers read at similar temperature) feels warm.
Gosh I'm starting to worry now :S  I dont want to ruin another batch of eggs!
I'm getting the new ones in about 3 hours
Does it happen to be this kind?

looks very similar but has windows on the top. Maybe an older model?

any chance you can post a picture of it or go on ebay and look at incubators maybe you will see yours there. If your eggs are fresh laid they will keep a couple of days as many as 10 days before they go bad read up on hatching eggs, and how store them. if they are shipped they need to rest for 24 hrs. before they go in the incubator .don't stress you have a little time . you posted that the temp was close to where it needed to be earlier .remember your body temp. is 98.6 and the incubator needs to be 99.5 for a forced air. so if its a little low it mite not feel warm to you.

I must go off line for a little while I'll get back on latter just don't load eggs until you know it's working.in the mean time turn the top upside down with it on and put a tiny drop of water on the heating element to see if its working it will sizzle if it is .let us know

OK so I now have 4 thermometers in my incubator and of course they are all different.
temp 1 (the one I used in my first hatch)= 36C/96.7F humidity 42%
Temp 2 (new digital one)= 37.8C/100.4F humidity 57%
Temp 3 (new today- got down to 1.5C/34.7F in ice water)= 39C/102.2F
Temp 4 (new today- got down to 4C/39.2F in ice water)= 40C/104F

This is my incubator- the reading on the front is in C which = 99.7F

easiest way is to get a old school glass thermometer that used on humans. Remember to shake the fluid back into the bulb before placing in the incubator.

Hey all,
I'm new to this world of hatching chickens and have just started my incubator up to the second time (the first time I had horrible hatch rate- only <10% and I don't really know why).
I bought a new thermometer just in case this was the issue. So I now have two in my box, and they are reading different temperatures- one is at 36C (96.8F) and the other at 38C (100.4F) and now I just dont know what to do. I have nothing to calibrate them off. (The lower one was the one I was using on the last hatch)
Of course the humidity is different on them also (55% vs 67%).
Is it better to keep the temp as it is (if the lower one is correct will they still hatch) or increase the temperature (if the higher one is correct, will it cook them if I put it too much higher).
Im buying two more tomorrow, but thought I would get some experienced people's advice.
My eggs have arrived and I cant leave them out for too much longer.

Thanks!
Getting the temp right is the most important and most frustrating part of incubation. I don't trust the ice water or the boiling water method of calibration. My reasoning is this: While a thermometer may be accurate at 32* or at 212*, that doesn't mean that it will be accurate at 100*. So, I like to test at my incubation range. I use a medical grade oral thermometer. They're guaranteed accurate to +/- .2 degrees. I then put it in a cup of water that is ABOUT 100 degrees. I suspend it so that it doesn't touch the sides. Along with it, I put any submersible thermometer that I'll be using in my bator. If using a digital thermometer, it doesn't hurt to have a bulb type as well. But: You could always calibrate a digital room type of thermometer in the incubator by placing your medical oral thermometer IN THE SAME LOCATION with it. The difficulty of doing it that way is that you will have temp swings when you open the bator to get it in there, and they don't stay on long enough. Though, I do have an older model that will stay on for 10 minutes. When checking thermometers in your bator, it's crucial that they be in exactly the same location. Even forced air bators have temp variations. Once you have a thermometer you can trust, it's time to test all locations in the bator, at egg level, and with it loaded with the volume of liquid to approximate the number of eggs you'll be setting. I like to use a few 16 oz. water bottles. When you've been stable for 48 hours, then you can commit eggs. BUT, the next important thing is: Don't touch that dial for at least 24 hours after putting the eggs in... unless the temp goes above range for more than an hour.

OK so I now have 4 thermometers in my incubator and of course they are all different.
temp 1 (the one I used in my first hatch)= 36C/96.7F humidity 42%
Temp 2 (new digital one)= 37.8C/100.4F humidity 57%
Temp 3 (new today- got down to 1.5C/34.7F in ice water)= 39C/102.2F
Temp 4 (new today- got down to 4C/39.2F in ice water)= 40C/104F

This is my incubator- the reading on the front is in C which = 99.7F

From those numbers, it looks like Temp 2 the new digital one seems closest to actual. I'm not such a stickler for "exact" numbers because the heater kicks on and off so much in my bator, that I shoot for a good average. So personally, I think all of your thermometers are in decent range. I would mark #4 with some masking tape with a notation on it that its high, just as a reminder. Have you done the salt test on the hygrometers? And I can't remember if you mentioned in your first post, but how did your first hatch turn out?

And I forgot... that looks like a Janoel 48 incubator to me. Do you see "JN-48" or something like that on it? Or the name Janoel?

Last edited:
I would go by Therm 2 and the corrected reading for Therm 3 if the temperature correlation holds true when both are at room and incubation temperature.

Therm 1 would go on the patio. Therm 4, with corrected readings, would go in the brooder.

I think I would take # 4 back and get my money back. number 3s low and high are very close in ice its 2.7 degrees off your looking for 99.5 and both digital thermometers are very close. the one in your incubator seems to be very close .mark # 3 at 2.7 degrees high .your incubator is only reading .2 degrees high which is not bad at all.I think you are safe with that. The problem with medical thermometer in incubation is this the elements don't stop heating when the controller shuts power down to it. the element continues to heat for 1 or 2 or 3 minutes or more. If a medical thermometer is close to the element it will go as high as the element is hot and not come down until you shake it .I broke 2 of mine last year doing just that. You have to go on line to get a good one with mercury . you can't get them at drug stores anymore. now the all use alcohol . next question where did the eggs come from ? are you keeping your incubator in room were the temp. stays between 65/72 degrees with no drafts . out of direct sunlight. next calibrate your hygrometer . do a dry hatch adding water in very small amounts .find and read the thread firstimehatch 1 I don't think the temperature is your problem .

Back
Top Bottom