Incubator Temperature Issues!

Good luck!

And please don't take this as a smart-*** comment, but just because 2 thermometers are close to each other, doesn't mean they are accurate. Do the ice test on them, if they can read down to 32°

agreed and I find you can't trust most thermometers. someone posted fish tank thermometers which are very accurate but hard to read $3 at walmart . I have spent a lot of money on thermometers trying to find one that works right . about 1 out of 4 is close to right. I like thermometers and hygrometers that can be set after I calibrate them. the one I like the most is a mainstays probe type quick response cost $9 at walmat .it's used for cooking and calibration instructions on the the card. it fits in the small vent holes in my farm innovators so I can check the temp. at all 4 corners of the incubator. not that I can change them at all . My hygrometers are hygroset IIs for humidors they to can be set after calibration and are very accurate . I brought 3 only 1 had to be reset after calibration .They are $20 on ebay but you can't trust the thermometers on them.

agreed and I find you can't trust most thermometers. someone posted fish tank thermometers which are very accurate but hard to read $3 at walmart . I have spent a lot of money on thermometers trying to find one that works right . about 1 out of 4 is close to right. I like thermometers and hygrometers that can be set after I calibrate them. the one I like the most is a mainstays probe type quick response cost $9 at walmat .it's used for cooking and calibration instructions on the the card. it fits in the small vent holes in my farm innovators so I can check the temp. at all 4 corners of the incubator. not that I can change them at all . My hygrometers are hygroset IIs for humidors they to can be set after calibration and are very accurate . I brought 3 only 1 had to be reset after calibration .They are $20 on ebay but you can't trust the thermometers on them.

My favorite is a probe type also. Its not quick read though, but it will range high then low. Also stores a maximum and minimum, so I love that feature. I also ordered a Brinsea Spot Check. It wasn't reading well to begin with, propped up on my turner, but I figured out later if I tape it to a cut-out egg carton cup, put tape down around the base of the probe, it works really well. You also have to keep the Spot Check away from any vent holes!

Today is day 21 and Im a bundle of nerves.
There was a short power cut last night and the incubator dropped temperature really quickly for about 20 min.
There was 11 eggs that went into lockdown (7 for hatching today, 4 for Thursday)
I swear Im looking in the incubator every few minutes (through the glass windows)
So far only one has pipped! Gosh Im nervous. I really hope I get more than just one hatch!!
But at the very least she is Araucana from a beautiful green egg!
I'll keep you posted on what happens over the next few days- fingers crossed!!!!!!!

Today is day 21 and Im a bundle of nerves.
There was a short power cut last night and the incubator dropped temperature really quickly for about 20 min.
There was 11 eggs that went into lockdown (7 for hatching today, 4 for Thursday)
I swear Im looking in the incubator every few minutes (through the glass windows)
So far only one has pipped! Gosh Im nervous. I really hope I get more than just one hatch!!
But at the very least she is Araucana from a beautiful green egg!
I'll keep you posted on what happens over the next few days- fingers crossed!!!!!!!

Good luck!

I have one chick. I think the other 6 eggs arent going to hatch (fingers crossed for the 4 due tomorrow)
I think Im just gonna buy 10 silkie chickens and therefore one will always be broody when I want to hatch chicks.
Im so depressed. I thought Id done everything right this time!
But i may have found the issue. The one that hatched knocked the thermometer to the edge of the box (where I had the eggs- so they wouldnt get knocked about by the first hatching) and the temperature dropped by 2degrees (3.6F). Maybe this is the problem! the outside is cooler than the middle so when I put them toward the edge of the box they cool down and die.
The ones due tomorrow were never put to the edge of the box. Oh please please let them hatch.

I think Im gonna go have a cry now...

I have one chick. I think the other 6 eggs arent going to hatch (fingers crossed for the 4 due tomorrow)
I think Im just gonna buy 10 silkie chickens and therefore one will always be broody when I want to hatch chicks.
But i may have found the issue. The one that hatched knocked the thermometer to the edge of the box (where I had the eggs- so they wouldnt get knocked about by the first hatching) and the temperature dropped by 2degrees (3.6F). Maybe this is the problem! the outside is cooler than the middle so when I put them toward the edge of the box they cool down and die.
The ones due tomorrow were never put to the edge of the box. Oh please please let them hatch.

If they got a little cooler, they could still hatch, it may just take another day. Hang in there and give them some time. Did you candle them or anything?

It's Okay around my house we have a saying we cry when we need to and then we take care of it . My wife and have a 22 year old son with severe Autisum and can't be left alone hatching chicks is stress relief for me. so have good cry fix your turner get some local eggs after this hatch is finished and you let us know about the other 4 And do it again. after all the trouble you have had I'm glad you got 1
ya.gif
fl.gif
for the others

So over all I hatched 5 chicks from 23 eggs- 11 that went into lock down. Not fantastic but it's actually 3x better than my last hatch rate, so I'm hoping next time is even better again.
I feel a few of the lock down eggs were almost there but the posting may have affected the air sacs too much (they spread hugely when put on their side). Next time I may try hatch the eggs in an upright position.
Ah well, it's a learning curve and I cant expect to be perfect from the get go.
I also bought a frizzle hen in my misery this week, so I'll use her for hatching in the summer.
As it is winter now, I'm going to give it a break and start again in September-November
Thanks for everyone's advice.

Glad you got a few and that's a good attitude! And by the way, air cell spreading after lockdown is normal. Not sure exactly what yours looked like, but they do draw back alot in the last few days.
Even if you aren't hatching, still post some updates on your babies!

Back
Top Bottom