Incubators Anonymous

Pics
So....did the little singlet make it??

No :hit she was DIS. I opened it and she was pure white. She would've been a little cutie. I'm setting every serama egg I get and not one has hatched. This one made it the longest but died before internally pipping and did not absorb the yolk yet. To be fair, the ones I'm seeing are from a new layer (pullet eggs) and a hen that I have no idea how old she is who just started laying again after molt. At least I know Simon is doing his job since the eggs have been fertile.

No :hit she was DIS. I opened it and she was pure white. She would've been a little cutie. I'm setting every serama egg I get and not one has hatched. This one made it the longest but died before internally pipping and did not absorb the yolk yet. To be fair, the ones I'm seeing are from a new layer (pullet eggs) and a hen that I have no idea how old she is who just started laying again after molt. At least I know Simon is doing his job since the eggs have been fertile.

Aww, I'm so sorry! I hate spending all that time waiting and worrying just to have them all die. It's really upsetting. Better luck next time!

I DID until one exploded on me and another one threatened lol. Now, if they're nasty, I clean them up bit I DO NOT go crazy and sanitize my eggs like SOME people :plbb

Did they not stress the importance of disinfecting the eggs at the NPIP testing school???

I don't go crazy on the disinfecting, I only do each egg twice. Not like I do them a dozen times or anything.

Did they not stress the importance of disinfecting the eggs at the NPIP testing school???

I don't go crazy on the disinfecting, I only do each egg twice. Not like I do them a dozen times or anything.

Out of curiosity, what do you use to disinfect your eggs? I've heard of people using quite a few different things, like listerine, etc...

No but they wouldn't sit up apt biosecurity lol. Though, I can imagine the teacher lau would've gone haywire id someone had brought it up. She was VERY anti raw milk and anti processing in less than sterile conditions (aka, outside or without gloves).

No but they wouldn't sit up apt biosecurity lol. Though, I can imagine the teacher lau would've gone haywire id someone had brought it up. She was VERY anti raw milk and anti processing in less than sterile conditions (aka, outside or without gloves).

Interesting!!

Out of curiosity, what do you use to disinfect your eggs? I've heard of people using quite a few different things, like listerine, etc...

I use 1 ounce of chlorine bleach with 1 gallon of water at 120 degrees.

I rinse them under the running tap @ 120 degrees, I have an on demand water heater so I can control the temp..

After I rinse the yuck off, I then dip them in the first bleach solution and swish them around, bring them out clean them with a wash cloth..

Then rinse under the tap again, dunk in the second solution then set in a rack to dry.

Repeat over and over for each egg. I wear surgical gloves, after they dry I move them to the turning racks which are covered and disinfected or to the incubators. I wear clean gloves for each move of the eggs.

I disinfect the incubators when they are empty. Nothing "dirty" ever goes into them. I wear surgical gloves each time I open it or reach in.

The hatcher gets disinfected after each hatch. Which means it is disnfected every 5-6 days.

I put the eggs in the hatcher on day 18. I do not open it until day 23. I will be changing this some this year, as I am going to be vaccinating on day one....Not sure how that will work for sure. I may have to use some foamies for brooders for a few days so no one gets 2 shots.

Yet, another reason to hate dux!!!:old

:plbb

I like making incubators, the above pic is my latest, day 4 on the pics. Dad to all eggs is a Blue Isbar, tan eggs are from a blue cochin/LO smooth legged hen, green from another BI, and the white was a leghorn.

Awesome! I don't have the guts to try one homemade. :D

Sorry!! :hugs
Eventually they will hatch. Like you say, at least fertility is good. They are boogers to hatch anyway, so setting every egg is good! :D

Back
Top Bottom