Incubators Anonymous

Pics
So it could be either...our anything lol. This is my Pirate. She looked like any typical bronze based baby when she was little. She's still young though (hatched early July) so she may still have some slight color changes.

View attachment 1176617 View attachment 1176618 View attachment 1176620

Me too, though I do that every year lol. I only stop once demand for poults dies down. I have a lot more hens this year though so I may be overrun with poults. And different colors too so there could be some neat colors popping out :)
Wow!!! So pretty!

20171102_070017-1.jpg
can't remember if I left this pic here???

Ugh! I'm losing it. Trying soooo hard not to set any eggs, because I'm going to be moving at the end of the year and don't want to have a bunch of babies that need to be housed separately, but it's soooooo hard!!! I finally have at least a pair of the 4 breeds I want to work with the most (BW/W/SW Ameraucanas, Speckled Sussex, Black Copper Marans, and Blue Laced Red Wyandottes), and they just started laying (still waiting on a few), and I'm finding it very difficult to restrain myself. I may or may not have a secret stash of eggs in my bedroom that I've been turning in anticipation of maybe, accidentally, setting some. I'm trying not to give in to my hatching urges, but I can't stop looking at pictures of chicks online... I think I might have chick fever. Any suggestions to help me avoid setting eggs?

I find that this time of year is great for setting and hatching...by the time the babies are of laying age, it's still early in the year and you can know who's best for breeding better chicks and can hatch and all MORE spring chicks :wee

Ugh! I'm losing it. Trying soooo hard not to set any eggs, because I'm going to be moving at the end of the year and don't want to have a bunch of babies that need to be housed separately, but it's soooooo hard!!! I finally have at least a pair of the 4 breeds I want to work with the most (BW/W/SW Ameraucanas, Speckled Sussex, Black Copper Marans, and Blue Laced Red Wyandottes), and they just started laying (still waiting on a few), and I'm finding it very difficult to restrain myself. I may or may not have a secret stash of eggs in my bedroom that I've been turning in anticipation of maybe, accidentally, setting some. I'm trying not to give in to my hatching urges, but I can't stop looking at pictures of chicks online... I think I might have chick fever. Any suggestions to help me avoid setting eggs?

You posted this in order to say we made you do it, right? Surely you didn't think we would say NOT to set those eggs. :lau

I find that this time of year is great for setting and hatching...by the time the babies are of laying age, it's still early in the year and you can know who's best for breeding better chicks and can hatch and all MORE spring chicks :wee

If i hadn't had soooo many broodies this year already, I'd let the current pair that is trying to sit keep the eggs, but i have so many juvies right now, I don't know what I'm going to do with them all!

Ok so I just acquired an old brooder..... I am not quite sure what to call it, it's made of galvanized metal and it's abut 4 feet by maybe 8 feet with a heater and the top is a-frame? It is in great shape and will greatly add to my hatching craze this upcoming spring. Provided it works like I think it will lol
I figure that it will more than double my capacity for mid sized juveniles that still need some heat, yeah
Ps I am sitting on my hands trying to remind myself that right now every egg is sold..... and that I have limited space for grow-outs.... sigh

You posted this in order to say we made you do it, right? Surely you didn't think we would say NOT to set those eggs. :lau

Aww, you caught me!! ;) Yeah, there was no way I wasn't setting those eggs... I already have the bator warming up, which I tried to keep a secret, but it looks like I can't pull the wool over your eyes, lol. I'm hoping to set them as soon as I get a good number. I'm still tinkering with finding the right humidity for my location, so I'm using this hatch as a test for all the spring hatches I plan on having...you know, for research purposes, totally...:oops: Hopefully I'll get a better hatch rate than my previous hatches this spring. Wish me luck!

Aww, you caught me!! ;) Yeah, there was no way I wasn't setting those eggs... I already have the bator warming up, which I tried to keep a secret, but it looks like I can't pull the wool over your eyes, lol. I'm hoping to set them as soon as I get a good number. I'm still tinkering with finding the right humidity for my location, so I'm using this hatch as a test for all the spring hatches I plan on having...you know, for research purposes, totally...:oops: Hopefully I'll get a better hatch rate than my previous hatches this spring. Wish me luck!

Research, absolutely! :D
Are you planning on starting low humidity and let the air cells be your guide?

Back
Top Bottom