Incubators Anonymous

Pics
Ok Incubators Anon folks... My incubators are all turned off, my final hatch of ducklings is done (and delivered to customer yesterday), my final broody hatched her chicks over the weekend. I have one more that wants eggs, but I've been taking them from her.
I'm done till spring time! :wee
:hit :hit poor wannabe momma :hit lol

That would be nuts! I don't think those babies would survive the winter. I have the adults under heat as it is lol
they are way hardier than people give them credit for, i have a tiny OEGB/silkie hatch out a couple chicks in Nov last year then proceed to raise them on my barns concrete floor :he everytime i would put sawdust/hay down she would move them to clean concrete. they did lose the toenail of the middle toe but thats it

and it was WICKED frackin cold!!!

Turkey
20171102_070017-1.jpg

they are way hardier than people give them credit for, i have a tiny OEGB/silkie hatch out a couple chicks in Nov last year then proceed to raise them on my barns concrete floor :he everytime i would put sawdust/hay down she would move them to clean concrete. they did lose the toenail of the middle toe but thats it

You know me, I usually end up giving in to persistent broodies. :oops:

And that's funny about the concrete/sawdust! Silly birds!

Its a hard leap to think you can prevent letting them die in the cold, so why not put forth the effort? I understand all the caution. I just had way too many and they were persistent about sleeping outside, so I figured mother nature would tell the tale.

I will say that my flock was full of slightly bigger birds last year, as opposed to this year, so I will still be concerned about this year's silkied ones, and the smaller ones.

:love You big enabler, you!! I want to hatch turkeys again!! :lol:

Silly bird! I had a pair of OEGB for the first 2 years we had chickens and they did fine out with the flock in the winter. I couldn't understand why they'd be hardy and seramas not. I miss our little Cookie.

Cute! Bronze? Red Bronze?

Its a hard leap to think you can prevent letting them die in the cold, so why not put forth the effort? I understand all the caution. I just had way too many and they were persistent about sleeping outside, so I figured mother nature would tell the tale.

I will say that my flock was full of slightly bigger birds last year, as opposed to this year, so I will still be concerned about this year's silkied ones, and the smaller ones.

I would understand that, if you had a lot of them. I only have a quad right now and my little roo is the smallest of all of them. Next generation will be his daughters bred back to him so they should be even smaller. I have them in the screen porch (plastic covers the screens) with 2 large dog crates connected together with the heat lamp in one and nothing in the other. They really do tend to keep to the heated side though will occasionally hang out in the cool side. I wouldn't want to lose any my first year with them lol

:love You big enabler, you!! I want to hatch turkeys again!! :lol:

I can't WAIT to hatch turkeys again. Honestly, I still have 3 fertile turkey eggs sitting in the egg bakery since one of my nutty hens was still laying a week or so ago.

Silly bird! I had a pair of OEGB for the first 2 years we had chickens and they did fine out with the flock in the winter. I couldn't understand why they'd be hardy and seramas not. I miss our little Cookie.

Cute! Bronze? Red Bronze?

I would understand that, if you had a lot of them. I only have a quad right now and my little roo is the smallest of all of them. Next generation will be his daughters bred back to him so they should be even smaller. I have them in the screen porch (plastic covers the screens) with 2 large dog crates connected together with the heat lamp in one and nothing in the other. They really do tend to keep to the heated side though will occasionally hang out in the cool side. I wouldn't want to lose any my first year with them lol

I can't WAIT to hatch turkeys again. Honestly, I still have 3 fertile turkey eggs sitting in the egg bakery since one of my nutty hens was still laying a week or so ago.
Ok so the turkey eggs were given to mw by a lady who had rescued 3 bbw and had them in with 2 bourbon reds and a standard bronze. .... so?

Ok so the turkey eggs were given to me by a lady who had rescued 3 bbw and had them in with 2 bourbon reds and a standard bronze. .... so?
A cross between a white turkey and a bronze turkey would produce a bronze semi-color poult. The cross between a bourbon red and a white turkey would produce a red bronze color semi. Of course this is assuming that the white turkey is not carrying any hidden color genes. Homozygous white is dominant to all other colors so it is very possible for a white turkey to be carrying many other different color genes.

Ok so the turkey eggs were given to mw by a lady who had rescued 3 bbw and had them in with 2 bourbon reds and a standard bronze. .... so?

So it could be either...our anything lol. This is my Pirate. She looked like any typical bronze based baby when she was little. She's still young though (hatched early July) so she may still have some slight color changes.

IMG_2719.JPG
IMG_2720.JPG
IMG_2713.JPG

i cant wait until my turkey starts laying, i have already told my hubby that i am setting EVERY egg

Me too, though I do that every year lol. I only stop once demand for poults dies down. I have a lot more hens this year though so I may be overrun with poults. And different colors too so there could be some neat colors popping out :)

Back
Top Bottom