Incubators, chicks, peeping! TOO MUCH!

Djmiller012

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
Tabor, IA
Okay...I am kind of new to the whole chicken thing and here are some questions for yall,

--How much do incubators cost?

--Where can I find one?

--How long does it take to hatch eggs?

--Where can I purchase eggs?

--If a chick doesn't come out of its shell, how do you help it?

--Can a chick walk after its out of its shell?

--Can it eat, drink, etc.?

--What do you do if a chick dies?

--How do you know if the egg is fertilized?

--How can you see the chick in the egg?

--How many times should you turn it?

--What degree should it be?

--Can I make my own incubator?

Sorry, kind of a lot of questions, hope yall dont mind...answers would be appreciated! Thanks!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

--How much do incubators cost?
The cheapest one you can find that has the capacity to hatch more than a dozen eggs is probably around 50 dollars, maybe a little cheaper.

--Where can I find one?
Check your local feed store, also poultry supply catalogs, google strombergs, nasco farm and ranch and murray mcmurray hatchery

--How long does it take to hatch eggs?
Chickens take 21 days to hatch

--Where can I purchase eggs?
You can find breeders right here on the form who will ship hatching eggs to you and you can also buy them form the hatcheries listed above.

--If a chick doesn't come out of its shell, how do you help it?
You don't, helping a chick out almost always results in death. Chicks can take up to two days to come out of their shells and usually make it out fine on their own.

--Can a chick walk after its out of its shell?
Chicks usually take a rest right after hatching but after a hort period are up running around.

--Can it eat, drink, etc.?
Chicks can eat and drink on their own right after hatching, but you should show them how to do it at first just to make sure they know where to get it. You just dip their beaks in the water and thy'll get the idea after that.

--What do you do if a chick dies?
You can do whatever you want but its best to get it out of the brooder as soon as possible and dispose of it whether it is in the trash or in the ground.

--How do you know if the egg is fertilized?
You can't tell if an egg is fertilized until you incubate it for a few days and then candle it to see if their is an embryo inside. Candleing is simply shining a light through the egg; you can see the embryo's shadow if the egg is fertile.

--How can you see the chick in the egg?
By candling, you can use a flashlight or a regular light bulb, there are also commerical candlers available.

--How many times should you turn it?
You should turn eggs at least three times a day, you can also get an automatic turner to do this for you.

--What degree should it be?
Ideal incubating temperatures are between 99 and 101F

--Can I make my own incubator?
You can make a homemade incubator easily and for really cheap but you will need to know all of the right conditions and monitor them closely.

Hope this helps
smile.png
if you have any other questions feel free to help... that's why we're here! Welcome to BYC.

Opps, I see your questions were already answered. Remember to check out the main Website and the " How To" section there is a wealth of information there and is always a good reference.

Last edited:
OH, this is like those myspace questions! LOL

--How much do incubators cost? $50 is about right but i wouldn't have an incubator without a turner. forget turning those things by hand. so add another $50 in there for the turner...or you may be able to find it cheaper on ebay...or...someone on the board who's finally frusterated with their styrofoam bator my sell one for cheaper.

--Where can I find one? i got mine from my feed store. also check ebay or this and the other board.

--How long does it take to hatch eggs? 21 days. but i don't candle, so if there are any that haven't hatched, i'll actually leave them in for another couple of days to make sure, just in case the temp fluctuated and slowed their growth.

--Where can I purchase eggs? from me! LOL. the buy sell trade, from this board or the other board or other poultry boards also have the buy sell trade. i got my marans eggs from the marans poultry group board. also, now that ebay is being a meanie, alot of people are selling their eggs on eggbid.com

--If a chick doesn't come out of its shell, how do you help it? you don't. just like you wouldn't help a butterfly out of its cocoon, you don't help the chick. there are those that do, but they seem to be professionals at it. everytime i've helped, mine have died.

--Can a chick walk after its out of its shell? yup. usually you leave it in the bator or something that's about 100 degrees so that they can dry. a chick has just taken into its system the yolk, so it can be without water or food for about 3 days. after it dries and collects itself, it'll walk.

--Can it eat, drink, etc.? it doesn't need to for about 3 days. but after i take mine out of the bator, i put them in the brooder where i have a quail waterer (so they don't drown) with a little bit of chick starter so they can see the water, and sprinkle chick starter on the paper towels and alot of times, they start pecking at it. i think more out of curiousity.

--What do you do if a chick dies? bury it.

--How do you know if the egg is fertilized? you can candle. also if you crack the egg and see a bulls eye in the yolk, it's fertile. (i never knew this before, until i read it on the other board. for the longest i thought i had some weird eggs)

--How can you see the chick in the egg? candeling

--How many times should you turn it? odd numbers more than 1, a day. so like 3 or 5, i think. like i said before, forget turning, buy a turner!

--What degree should it be? close to 100 degrees the better. a lower temp is much better than a temp spike. i've had eggs hatch where the temp went as low as 69 degrees because of a power outage. but a temp spike seems to just cook em.

--Can I make my own incubator? yes, you're more than welcome to. alot of people do and get great satisfaction in doing so. there are those that do it on a skillet, in a fish tank, converted frigerator, a wooden box, etc, etc. i'm too lazy, i just buy mine.

hope you don't get offended by my responses. this was kinda fun. lol

Last edited:
How much do incubators cost?
I bought mine from strombergschickens.com for between $100-150 and that was with an auto turner which is GREAT!! it saves a lot of time and effort.

Where can I find one?
strombergschickens.com or mcmurrayhatchery.com

How long does it take to hatch eggs?
21 days.

Where can I purchase eggs?
I purchase my eggs from mcmurrayhatchery.com. They have great quality eggs. I have had hatch rates in the upper 90% range. They will ship there eggs pretty much any where in the US and i havent had any broken in the mail yet. Knock on wood!

If a chick doesn't come out of its shell, how do you help it?
They say that you shouldn't help it out of its shell. I helped one out of its shell last year and it ended up having a crippled leg and survived almost 6 weeks with the other bird until the they started picking on him. I suggest letting mother nature do her thing and don't help.

Can a chick walk after its out of its shell?
They sure can!

Can it eat, drink, etc.?
I let them in the incubator for a full 24 hrs. then take them to the brooder and watch them for a little while to make sure that they find there food and water. I have heard that using a red feeder and water attacks them to it and makes them want to eat.

What do you do if a chick dies?
You should bury it.

How do you know if the egg is fertilized?
You can't at first

How can you see the chick in the egg?
Candle it.

How many times should you turn it?
And odd number of times several time per day but a auto turner is worth it. Trust me!

What degree should it be?
Around a 100F, if you purchase one you should follow their instructions for the temp setting.

Can I make my own incubator?
You can but it involves a lot of factors. I myself would say buy one but it's up to you. Buying one could saves you a lot of fustration and time.

I baught my incubator used from Reptile World for 40.00. I only incubated 12 eggs so I didn't realy need a turner. I turned them by hand before I left for work, when I got home for work and before bed. All 12 hatched.

Back
Top Bottom