Incuview Incubator

What problems have you been having with it?

I feel like the eggs don't rotate well enough. I'd rather place them in my other incubators that sit with the top up and rotate back and forth. Yes, the temp maintains well, and I like that, but I don't like that the eggs just don't rotate well. I don't know what to do to make them rotate better.

@Kenny_ I would but the eggs in with all the X’s facing up. Then a week later, when I candle, I would put all the O’s facing up. Then do that again the next week with the X’s. But I still let the turner do its thing. I’ve hatched 3 batches with 100% hatch. Maybe try that.

I'm surprised at the people who love this incubator, because I really do not like mine. I wish I hadn't bought it.
Why did you not like it?
What's your background with hatching and using electronic control menus?
I agree it was a big learning curve with the controls after using a foam incubator with analog controls.
Oops, didn't see next page before replying...agrees the turning is not ideal.

Two more have pipped and technically I'm still on day 18. I don't believe my incuview was running hot, but the eggs that are pipping are the smaller eggs in the batch so I'm hoping that's the explanation.
How's it going @Ms Biddy? I have had day 18 pips, especially when I count the day I set the eggs as Day 1 instead of 24 hours later, and it can take 24 hours from pip to hatch so hatch day is actually Day 19 or 20.

I love reading the replies and seeing all the cool things you all are doing with our incubator. I am curious to see how well this spacer concept is going to work out, seems pretty nifty. If you ever find a final design/pattern that works for you let us know, we would love to share it on our blog and Facebook page and credit the creators.

As far as rotation issues are concerned, I am always curious about what brings our customers to this conclusion. Is it a bad hatch rate, do the embryos have development issues, or does it just look plain weird? I know it is different looking, but that is not always bad. To put it into numbers, a traditional upright egg turner gets about 30 degrees of rotation either way (60 degrees total), the IncuView and also IncuTurn egg turner (side set turner for the HovaBator) get about 80 to 90 degrees of turn. We would love any input or feedback regarding this. Happy hatching everyone.

How's it going @Ms Biddy? I have had day 18 pips, especially when I count the day I set the eggs as Day 1 instead of 24 hours later, and it can take 24 hours from pip to hatch so hatch day is actually Day 19 or 20.

Hi, thanks for asking! I'm still on day 19, but will kick over to day 20 soon. They've been hatching all day. I have 4 dry and under a MHP. I planned to leave them in but they were acting wild, climbing the divider, getting stuck and trying to hang themselves in those two red and black wires. Five more are still in the incubator drying and making a fuss. One came out with its navel not fully closed and the shell goop still attached. That has come off and the chick is very active so I hope it's closed now. Six eggs are not pipped yet.

climbing the divider, getting stuck
Stuck in the divider?
Is the bottom of divider glued to base or loose...are they able to push the walls?
I glued mine to a base piece of same mesh so that wouldn't happen because material is rather soft.
I too remove them to brooder once dry and rowdy, always in groups of at least 2.

I love reading the replies and seeing all the cool things you all are doing with our incubator. I am curious to see how well this spacer concept is going to work out, seems pretty nifty. If you ever find a final design/pattern that works for you let us know, we would love to share it on our blog and Facebook page and credit the creators.
I made an 'article' with a pattern, not many details on construction tho. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incuview-divider-pattern-by-aart.73966/ Invite your followers to join here to see it, I think only BYC members can view it(will have a nonmember friends test it for me, as now I'm curious ETA, it is viewable by the public), but can't find those setting now it has been published. Do y'all have any airflow testing setups? I spent 20 years as a designer/drafter/engineering tech so think about these kinds of things. I had some humidity issues(too low) during lock down and hatching and was unsure if it was the dividers impeding airflow or a copious amount of fluff on water surface reducing evaporation. Don't have pic of fluff covered water(should have taken one-it was pretty crazy), but here is the fan screen after hatch:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/incuview-incubator.852619/page-142#post-19890638

As far as rotation issues are concerned, I am always curious about what brings our customers to this conclusion. Is it a bad hatch rate, do the embryos have development issues, or does it just look plain weird? I know it is different looking, but that is not always bad. To put it into numbers, a traditional upright egg turner gets about 30 degrees of rotation either way (60 degrees total), the IncuView and also IncuTurn egg turner (side set turner for the HovaBator) get about 80 to 90 degrees of turn. We would love any input or feedback regarding this. Happy hatching everyone.
I put X and O on my eggs so noticed they do not all turn evenly. They also seem to bunch up in the slot at times, kind of 'shingle' and have to be spread out again(mostly, or especially the long skinny ones). I also noticed when candling that the yolk seems to be more concentrated on one side of egg in most of them. Maybe that's typical with side turned/rolled eggs, have only used the 'vertical egg' turners and never candled my broody eggs much. I wish I could 'manually' force the turning cycle to happen so I can observe the motion, I've seen it twice by happenstance but it's over rather quickly, too quickly to evaluate.

ETA: tho I had a 100% hatch and a 70% hatch(much of which was due to those long skinny eggs)....so not unhappy.

Last edited:

This. And also, the eggs just do not rotate well in the incubator when you visualize them - which is pretty obvious since the opening is so perfectly clear. Maybe it's about how many or how the eggs are placed in there, what shapes or sizes need to placed there.. I'm not sure. After I didn't have success the first couple of times, I just moved on from it, which is a pretty expensive couple of failures considering the eggs and the incubator itself.

I put X and O on my eggs so noticed they do not all turn evenly. They also seem to bunch up in the slot at times, kind of 'shingle' and have to be spread out again(mostly, or especially the long skinny ones). I also noticed when candling that the yolk seems to be more concentrated on one side of egg in most of them. Maybe that's typical with side turned/rolled eggs, have only used the 'vertical egg' turners and never candled my broody eggs much. I wish I could 'manually' force the turning cycle to happen so I can observe the motion, I've seen it twice by happenstance but it's over rather quickly, too quickly to evaluate.

Thank you.. because you worded a lot of my issues very well. The turn seems incomplete and quick, and then the housing for the eggs doesn't grip the eggs well enough IMO to turn them as much as I want it to in the channel it's in. I wish I could lock an egg in one channel or spot and have the bottom move like the r-com does with the add-on plate I bought for it that houses a set number of eggs. It adds a sku for the company, but it provides a safety of mind for the customer in that they KNOW the egg is absolutely being turned and the eggs are coming out with perfect embryos being formed if all of the other variables are being met correctly, as well. I am not meaning to compare brands to brands, I am simply trying to give you an idea of what I am talking about, as I have no other point of reference IncubatorWarehouse. I sincerely appreciate you listening to our feedback, as I know that will only help future hatchers/buyers! :)

Stuck in the divider?
Is the bottom of divider glued to base or loose...are they able to push the walls?
I glued mine to a base piece of same mesh so that wouldn't happen because material is rather soft.
I too remove them to brooder once dry and rowdy, always in groups of at least 2.

My divider has fit issues that I couldn't correct because I made it while I was already incubating. The material is very bendy and didn't cross under the fan guard at the angle I assumed it would. I ended up with some sizeable gaps, which are dangerous when chicks get hung up in there. They're very determined to leave their section. I think with some adjustments it would be better. I also need to tape the red and black incubator wires together or to the lid.
20180619_161653.jpg

I had some humidity issues(too low) during lock down and hatching and was unsure if it was the dividers impeding airflow or a copious amount of fluff on water surface reducing evaporation.

My humidity issues are because our house is humid during the day when the evaporative cooler is on and dry at night when it's off. It makes humidity go down at night, take a while to build up in the morning and the shoot up in the afternoon. It's a real pain but not the incubators fault. I don't think the divider has been a hindrance.

Back
Top Bottom