INDEPENDENT, Remarkably STUBBORN "Broody Hen"...WOW!

Junkmanme

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
Near Gallup, New Mexico
Folks,

I KNOW I have mentioned several times here on these forums that Mopsy, my repeatedly broody hen, is STUBBORN !!!

I just didn't realize HOW Stubborn!!! Here's the Story:

Her second broodiness this year, she WAS setting 12 eggs (all her own). Nearly a week ago, she hatched 4 chicks..and after that, seemingly paid little attention to the remaining eggs.

So, having a "black,roundhead game-hen" (fightin' chicken Momma) that had "gone broody" on what were probably "infertile eggs" under my side porch, I moved the remaining 8 Buff Orpington eggs to the "game-hen's nest". She accepted them gratefully.

The "game-hen's nest" is visible and adjoins the fenced "brood area" where Mopsy, the broody Buff Orpington was content to raise her 4 chicks. This brood area has a 6 foot-high fence with chicken-wire that high!

This Morning Mopsy was "cavorting" with her new chicks. This afternoon, she wasn't in the brood area, but the 4 chicks were.
(Where the dickens is she?) I looked around.
She is outside the "brood area", under that porch, setting on those eggs that the "game-hen" was setting on!

I know that she "ran-off" the "game-hen" because Mopsy is THE Top Hen around here and has a very aggressive attitude! MEANER than the Goddess "Hera" of Greek Mythology!

I'm pretty sure that all those eggs have died. I wonder how long she will "forsake" the 4 little chicks? Having been a divorced, single-parent of 4 children, I thought I had "seen it all" about "female behavior" and "female instincts". NOT EVEN CLOSE !!! Still confused.
idunno.gif

roll.png
hmm.png
th.gif

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

P.S. I'll plug in the heat-lamp in the brood area this evening. It'll get cool (in the high 40's). I expect the 4 chicks will be fine then. Incidentally, that lamp, by coincidence, is right next to where Mopsy is setting those "useless" eggs..just separated by chain-link plus chicken-wire. No idea WHERE this "stupidity" will lead............but interesting to me........

Last edited:
It's been a few hours........

I went outside to plug in the heat-lamp in order to keep the little chicks warm tonight, since their Momma had deserted them for the "unhatchable eggs".

Three of the 4 chicks had escaped the brood area through the chicken-wire! They are VERY small yet.

I picked up ONE of the chicks and had to fight off "Mopsy" AND the EXCELLENT Rooster (Daddy)! I put that chick back inside the brood area and the Momma (Mopsy) followed me and the 2 other "outside" chicks followed her. So, NOW, they are all back in the brood area.

As soon as the "game-hen" noticed that MEAN Mopsy was back in the brood area.......She immediately returned to the nest full of unhatchable eggs.

What a "comedy of errors"!!!

I think tomorrow I will throw away all those eggs. It is serving no purpose, but merely "confusing the issue"!

crazy learning experience!
-Junkmanme-
old.gif
th.gif

Last edited:
MAYBE...I should write a book and entitle it:

STUPID STUFF that I've wasted my time with!

I never thought MUCH of "soap operas" or people who watched them.

LIFE is its own incomprehensible "soap opera" ! WHY would ANYONE watch something that is merely more problems ?

Incomprehensible to me..........

(I'll gladly TRADE my "unwatched TV" for some SMART Chickens!)
Anybody GOT ANY ??????

waiting for offers......
caf.gif

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Last edited:
I'm with you - have never really watched soaps, life is a much better soap opera.

I do like the title of your book. You should post it in random ramblings and see what others could contribute
wink.png

Quote:
Aaahhhh, YES, I do.... Here is a true story:

I bought 44 chicks in May. they are now 18 weeks old. When they were about a month old, I was given a trio of 1 yr old cuckoo marans.

Anyway, 1 year old Rupert was given to me, along with his 2 ladies, Lavern and Shirley. After quarantine of 5 wks, they shared the fence line with the main flock for another 5 weeks. Now, for 2 weeks they have all (silkies also) been free ranging together. Though the silkies stay to themselves, they are quick to send the others a runnin' !

Rupert, Lavern, and Shirley all keep to themselves, and stay out of the others' way. I have been wanting to get them in with the main flock, but waiting for the others to grow. Now, since they are near laying, I figured it was time. Four nights ago we put them in the coop with the others. They have been in and out of the run and big coop off and on, while out free ranging. But,they were surely not happy.

The girls both lay an egg every day. But now, in a new coop, what to do?? Oh no, poor Lavern. Pacing the fence line, looking at her old coop, looking up at how high the fence was, and even getting up on the branch roost near the fence (contemplating jumping the fence) for 2 hours, singing the egg song. Honestly, this is unbelievable ... but this is what Rupert did. He went into the hen house (where Shirley had already layed her egg), and got into a nest, and he kept calling her with his sweet song. Over and over and over again. She would go in and come out, go in and come out. So many times, I thought Rupert would give up. During this time, the many of the main flock sat inside the coop and watched Rupert, as if they were at a movie. (Only thing missing was the popcorn!). I ran inside to tell the family what was going on. Mike and I sat out in our yard and witnessed this event. Ever so lovely, Rupert singing to his girl. Finally, she went in and layed her egg in the nest. Then, and only then, Rupert came out.... with her.

This went on again on day 2 and day 3. Today was day 4. It was just a bit different, in that before he got in the nest, he chased the main flock out of the coop. I think he was tired of the audience! LOL. Lavern was much quicker today, less than an hour of pacing and crying the egg song, "I gotta lay, I gotta lay, I gotta lay this egg, oh my!"

This rooster is so lovely. I have watched him for hours. When he mates, I swear he asks first. AND, he does accept, "no," for an answer sometimes! LOL .... He courts his girls, takes them to dinner, and is always sweet talking to them. Sometimes they squat, sometimes they don't ! Of course Mr. Manners would never do this in front of me (or anyone). This is only done in private, away from others! Around the corner of the run, or when out free ranging in the timber, etc. And ALWAYS very gentle. Those girls don't so much as have a feather out of place, much less a feather missing! I sure wish Rocky could have learned some manners from ol' Rupert.

Honestly, this is a true story. Rupert brings me to tears, he is so wonderful. The 3 Marans stay together, and don't bother anyone. If someone is invading their space, Rupert will gently guide them away. I mean very gently. He does not peck at the others, just shows them the way out. One time Rocky and Obama were about to really get into it. (First time I had seen this happen also.) Rupert, the lovely man that he is, simply went across the run and walked in between them, and they went their separate ways. WOW, I was shocked. Rupert does not like chaos.

Update... Day 5 ... Lavern layed an egg, ALL BY HERSELF!

VERY GOOD STORY, Kathy!
clap.gif

I think you should make a strong effort to continue Ol' Rupert's bloodline in your Flock!

I'd be much more interested in THAT KIND of Genetic Breeding than any concern over "feather-color"!

Hooray for 'Ol Rupert !!!

(I have a Rooster named "Oro Blanco de Gallo" who exhibits similar traits. There is no doubt that it's HIS Flock of Chickens!)

Ha-Ha!
smile.png

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Well, I did just hatch 8 of Rupert's chicks. Cuckoo Marans can be sexed at hatch (better on day 3) I see 3 are female and 5 are male. 3 eggs did not finish..... I am sure they were hens! haha. Actually, it is the roosters that I was hoping for. I can hatch more, or send you some eggs, if you would like.

Go ahead and get that TV packaged up! Shall I expect UPS or other shipping?

Back
Top Bottom