Indian Fantail Interest

Quote:
Do you have a link or pics of the fantail doves? There is a difference bewteen pigeons and doves. Doves being of the smaller kind, like ringnecks. But most "doves" are pigeons. The "doves" that are used in ceremony releases, even the fantail, are pure white pigeons. Usually owners will only release the non faintail kind during weddings and funerals. These are white homing pigeons and after released at the event, they will fly home, usually making it back before their owner who dropped them off at the venue. Its really cool. Also the fantail or garden fantails, are kept in a wire cage type basket on display at the venue. They do not return home as well as the hommers. I'm not saying that their are not fantail doves, because I certainly don't know every breed of dove out there but I would be skeptical that they are really pigeons. The release bird owners call them doves because it is more romantic. Nobody wants to say they had a pigeon release at their wedding (except maybe us BYC people:)) But isn't it romantic to have a dove release? All in the marketing. A pigeons a pigeon.
cool.png

Quote:
Right now we keep them in a 4 by 8 loft in our hay mow. it is made out of chicken wire they have a little platform to go on a feeder and a water and a few nest box's. I would like to get a little coop though because it's a bear to get up there and they don't really get any sun

I have four beautiful Indian Fantails. One white pair, a mottle cock, and a Lavender cock. Would love to trade the lavender for a mottle hen or purchase a mottle hen of quality for breeding purposes. They are my favorite. Had some problem with my white pair's first clutch of eggs which did not hatch, the shells were somehow broken, possibly fighting. Their second clutch I have fostered to a good pair of rollers with a good reputation for raising healthy young ones. I think the others have pretty well covered the issues you mentioned. I think they are the "classiest" of show birds. My mottle has black patches of feathers and a black tail. Very pretty bird. I'll have to take some pictures of him and upload them.
smile.png

Quote:
Do you have a link or pics of the fantail doves? There is a difference bewteen pigeons and doves. Doves being of the smaller kind, like ringnecks. But most "doves" are pigeons. The "doves" that are used in ceremony releases, even the fantail, are pure white pigeons. Usually owners will only release the non faintail kind during weddings and funerals. These are white homing pigeons and after released at the event, they will fly home, usually making it back before their owner who dropped them off at the venue. Its really cool. Also the fantail or garden fantails, are kept in a wire cage type basket on display at the venue. They do not return home as well as the hommers. I'm not saying that their are not fantail doves, because I certainly don't know every breed of dove out there but I would be skeptical that they are really pigeons. The release bird owners call them doves because it is more romantic. Nobody wants to say they had a pigeon release at their wedding (except maybe us BYC people:)) But isn't it romantic to have a dove release? All in the marketing. A pigeons a pigeon.
cool.png

If you google fantail dove and fantail pigeon it brings up the same pictures (fantail pigeon).

Yes they do come in Lavender. I will take some pics of my birds but it will take a couple of weeks to get them developed and uploaded.

Oh wow! I doubt I'd be able to give that large of an area for them. I'd love to have them, but my "big" room is for my chickens. If keeping them in a smaller cage is going to inhibit their breeding or well-being, I suppose I should look elsewhere. I went to a show and saw these birds and fell in love. I like them so much more than the American fantail. These look more ]natural and regal.

Pigeons need approximately a minimum of 4 square feet per pair. More room is better and you must consider wether they are a small bird (roller) or a large bird (Runt). Overcrowding brings about health problems for the birds and a much dirtier loft. Pigeons will keep themselves clean if their loft is clean and they have the availability of a bath. I put a teaspoon full of Flowers of Sulpha in my bath water too help rid them of lice and mites. i also use tobacco stems for nesting material for the same reason. A bird raised in a dung heap will look like s___ if it it survives. Your loft does not have to be spectacularly clean but, depending on how many birds you have in your loft and what type of litter you use, it should be cleaned when it is obviously becoming to dirty.

Back
Top Bottom