Indian Food - Anybody else love the stuff?

I had some indian food when we went to VA. Its really good! I cant remember what we had since it was over 3 years ago
sad.png

When my wife and I think about moving to the country we never even think about moving away from Indian food!!! There are probably about 20 places (literally) within a 6 mile radius of our house.

We went from being 8 blocks from one, to not having an Indian within 100 miles. So, we've just started making it ourselves. My personal favorite is a lamb biryani.

And of course, you haven't lived until you've been in the UK, drank about 15 pints, then had a 5-star vindaloo at 3 am.
tongue.png

Just went to lunch with an old friend. Across the way was an Indian grocery store (many in the area). Most I've been to have owners that either don't speak English and try to be really helpful, or they speak ok English but aren't super friendly. Well, this place had a woman that was super friendly and spoke excellent English. She gave me a packet of what she said was the best butter chicken mix and gave me a few pointers on how to make it just as good as the restaurants.

I'll keep you posted!

I absolutely ADORE indian food and there are some AWSOME places in my town to get indian food. I must say, I'm a fan!
love.gif
:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love

Oh yes! I cook lots of Indian and Thai food. Comes from being a grad student in the sciences on the East Coast; most of the study sessions are run by the international students.

Important thing I learned from Indian and Thai natives: Most of the food in restaurants, for which we pay outrageous sums of money, is basically home cooking from a can. It would be like USAians paying $17/plate for spaghetti & meatballs. I make a wicked good Panaeng curry, Thai noodle salad, saffron pilau, tom ka (stuff) and tamarind-coconut fish, and seriously--most of it comes from a can. Am going to get brave someday and fire up my brick oven to make naan...someday...

Only thing I bother getting in Indian restaurants anymore is kofta. Those are a real pain the butt to make at home, too many dirty dishes and too labor-intensive.

Share some recipes ...PLEASE!!! We used to buy Curry King sauces that came ina jar... I don't think that they make them any more.

We don't like the Patak's brand

Hmmmmmmmm Samoosa's are my favorite little treat. I like the triangular crispy ones. YUM.

I used to make a nice curry myself, but have long since run out of my masala mix - I bought it in South Africa.
Along with my garlic and ginger. I did make my own garlic and ginger a few times, just shredded the ginger and mixed it with garlic, then cook with oil and the masala before adding the meat.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder if I can buy that on line.

I used to make curried pickled veggies as well.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom