Indian Runner Duck _ She is trying to push something

Hi @Miss Lydia ,

I hope you had a great New Year. I wanted to inform you that I added five chicks to the flock this Sunday. I am unsure of the breed, but the seller mentioned they are egg-laying chickens. (photo attached)

Unfortunately, there have been some issues since they arrived. One chick died the next morning, possibly due to the heat lamp, so I immediately removed it, as the seller recommended that the heat lamp is not necessary as its usually warm in Indonesia. I've also noticed another chick appearing a bit weak since yesterday, even though they have been eating and drinking water.
The chicks are in a cage, being fed pellet feed, and I've added vitamins to their water. I've also started adding antibiotics since yesterday. The other chicks seem fine.

I realized that raising chicken is different from raising ducks, and I'm sure I am missing something. I've been researching on the platform to improve the situation.
I'm seeking your recommendations and guidance. Is there anything specific you would suggest, and should I consider adding more chicks as the numbers decrease?
I'm particularly concerned about the weak chick, as its illness could potentially affect the new members. Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Edited Update - I isolated the weak chick a few hours ago, the chick is no more and again one more chick was dead too. Only 2 chicks are left out of 5. I am a bit worried that another chick became weak as well.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-01-17 at 10.04.42 AM (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-17 at 10.04.42 AM (3).jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 5
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-01-17 at 10.04.42 AM (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-17 at 10.04.42 AM (2).jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Does their poop look normal no blood? look up coccidiosis to start.

Also what is the temp where you have them chicks need for their first week at least 90* then you drop back 5* each week thereafter.
Vitamin water is a good thing and I think a mash or crumble is best for chicks it's hard for them to pellets but you could make a mash out of the pellets by adding warm water to their pellets. I'd add a bit of Apple cider vinegar to the warm water to keep the feed from growing mold. In warm climates you'd need to change out the feed at least 2X a day so don't make up much at a time let them almost finish one before making another mash up. Fermented feed is also an option. We have info on doing it too.

With young newly hatched chicks temp and cocci are 2 of the issues that can happen to where we can lose them fast.

Did the person you got the chicks from have them on the ground or in a brooder?

here is some info on cocci https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chickens-are-suddenly-very-very-calm.1197544/page-3
If you think this could be coccidiosis stop the vitamin water until they have finished taking the med for cocci, once you start the med.

I'm so sorry you've lost some of your chicks it's always sad when we don't know what we can do to help.

Last edited:
Hi @Miss Lydia, Thanks for your message.

I don't see any blood in their droppings. Let me check and understand about it.

These are from a regular pet shop that sells poultry-related and a few more pets. The seller had these in a cage inside the shop, not on the floor. Also, the weather here is mostly between 75 to 95 degrees (a little lower when it rains), which is why the seller advised me not to heat more with the lamp I guess. I initially assumed the first chick died because of overheating. Maybe I will try setting up the brooder with the lamp again in a proper brooder setup.

Noted on the food, and I will change and try that.

I think I need to buy a few more chicks since, as of now, there are only 2, and I'm concerned they may not survive. Is it advisable to add a few more, or will it spread in case it's coccidiosis?

Also, the weather here is mostly between 75 to 95 degrees (a little lower when it rains), which is why the seller advised me not to heat more with the lamp I guess. I initially assumed the first chick died because of overheating.
Hi @rakeshkarthik if you start a new thread, tag me and I'll take a look at it.

The chick in your photo is very young, just a few days old, so in cooler weather/nighttime, she may need some supplemental heat.
They need 1 warm spot that is around 85-90F the first week or so, then drop the temperature down.
The brooder needs to be large enough so the chicks can get away from the heat source and cool off too.

You mention giving pellets. Tiny chicks usually eat crumble chick starter, I'm not sure what you have available to you, but if the feed is in pellet form, then soak it in water to make a mash so they are able to eat it. Large pieces of food are hard to handle for the first few weeks.

Keep us posted on how they are doing.

Hi @Wyorp Rock, I truly appreciate your assistance and thank you for your input.
Last night only one chicken was left in the flock, and I've added 6 more chicks this morning.

I've moved and restructured the brooder space and upgraded the headlamp as well. Also, I've started providing mashed food to the new flock, and they seem to be eating it. I'm hopeful that with these adjustments, I'll be able to raise them all without losing any.

Hi @Wyorp Rock, I truly appreciate your assistance and thank you for your input.
Last night only one chicken was left in the flock, and I've added 6 more chicks this morning.

I've moved and restructured the brooder space and upgraded the headlamp as well. Also, I've started providing mashed food to the new flock, and they seem to be eating it. I'm hopeful that with these adjustments, I'll be able to raise them all without losing any.
Sorry to hear about the losses.
Sounds like you are doing what you can, hopefully you won't have any more problems.

Back
Top Bottom