Indian runner duck not thriving

chickenlover91

Songster
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
We have a 3 week old indian runner duck that is not doing very well. We are not sure whats wrong with her, it all started this morning.

Here are the symtoms:

Watery clear poo

off balance

not drinking much

shivering (it's not cold out)

Not eating

What could be wrong with her?? What should we try to feed her? Should we add anything to her water? Should we seperate her from the others?

Thank you, any information would be great!

I can't help with a diagnosis, but I would definitely separate. We had two Indian Runner ducklings that exhibited nearly identical symptoms and ended up losing them. I have been told that yogurt is a good thing to feed them when struggling.

Last edited:
We took her to the vet. He hopes it is bacterial. Suspects maybe botulism or samnilla which made her septic. She is antibiotics and was given a vitamin E injection. She has to dring apple cider vinegar water. Let's hope she gets better :(

We took her to the vet. He hopes it is bacterial. Suspects maybe botulism or samnilla which made her septic. She is antibiotics and was given a vitamin E injection. She has to dring apple cider vinegar water. Let's hope she gets better :(
I hope she does, I give my ducks and chickens apple cider vinegar in their water almost every night. please keep us updated on how she is doing.
fl.gif

Aflac is doing much better today. Last night she had a little seisure but was doing a little better. We gave her her meds last night and she woke up eatings drinking and not stumbling all over the place. We have to keep her with us at all times, because she screams if she can not see us ;P. Poor Hannah had night duty and she had to keep her hand hanging over the bed on her cage so she could see her at all times :) We are going to keep her separated for today and if she is 100% tonight, the vet said we can put her back with her friends.

In case you want to know, this i8s what the vet did.
  • checked for blockages in the gut
  • checked feces (came back negative)
  • Gave a shot of bo-se (selenium, Vitamin E) injection
  • 1 drop of Metronidozole twice a day for 2 weeks
  • vinegar water and tums crushed in food for more calcium

Last night when she would not touch food, she would eat worms. So if you have a non eater, it may be worth a try :)

Aflac is doing much better today. Last night she had a little seisure but was doing a little better. We gave her her meds last night and she woke up eatings drinking and not stumbling all over the place. We have to keep her with us at all times, because she screams if she can not see us ;P. Poor Hannah had night duty and she had to keep her hand hanging over the bed on her cage so she could see her at all times :) We are going to keep her separated for today and if she is 100% tonight, the vet said we can put her back with her friends.

Last night when she would not touch food, she would eat worms. So if you have a non eater, it may be worth a try :)
Happy to hear she is feeling better today.
thumbsup.gif

Thank you for including what the vet did and what you're doing!

Thanks, I am blessed to have a best friend whose husband is a vet and has knowledge about animals other vets do not. I have two other friends who are also vets, but know little about poultry or wild animals. I thought it might be helpful to know what was done in case you have a vet who does not know. I think because the cultures came up negative, he treated her in a way that may cover many things it could have been. The worm thing was of my own finding. He said if she did not eat in 48 hours we would have to tube feed, needless to say I was not looking forward to that ;P She is eating everything now and I think I will let her go with her friends tomorrow.

It is amazing how attached you become to these little animals!

Back
Top Bottom