Indian Runner Ducklings Raspy Voice or Sick?

TinaandJohnny

Chirping
Aug 23, 2022
Hello! So I am looking for an insight if anyone has any or had any experiences with this.

Long story but I will make it as short and precise as possible. I hatched out 2 Indian Runner ducks who are now 8 1/2 weeks old, they are very healthy and friendly with me and follow me around everywhere. I have hatched out Cayuga ducks before but gave them new homes early. These ones are my sweet little peas and I decided to keep them, but I’ve never raised ducks to adults.
Since they were born, they have had kind of a more raspy voice. I noticed it about 5 days in, they have a slight almost wheezing sound (not sure wheezing is how I would describe it honestly) as well and as they’ve gotten older, it has increased. You can barely hear it, and it’s not all the time. Mostly when they lay down at night. They have shown no signs of having any infections, no watery eyes or discharge coming out of the nares. Basically they don’t look or act like a sick duck.
They are outside all day, with a big pool I clean twice a day, so they have fresh water to clean themselves. They sleep inside still because their duck house isn’t built yet, but that is also cleaned daily. They sleep on a towel or a blanket when it’s bed time and they have access to fresh water.

Do you guys think they are both males? Because I’ve read that males have raspy voices?
Is this normal for ducks?
Are they potentially sick with something they’ve had since they were babies? And if so what?
Should I listen with my stethoscope of their lungs?

Please any suggestions welcome!

:welcome
If you can get up a video of them making these noises that would help. It does sound like drake voice though.
The only problem is you say since they were born they have been raspy. That isn't normal peeps is what you usually hear when tiny.
But a good appetite running around enjoying life no signs outward of sickness like you mentioned are all good signs. By 8 weeks you should be able to tell sex by voice females will have a loud quack. Drakes will have the raspy voice.

Okay yes, I have a video. This is them this morning. And I also have a video when one of them was young. Probably a day old. They definitely did peep.
:welcome
If you can get up a video of them making these noises that would help. It does sound like drake voice though.
The only problem is you say since they were born they have been raspy. That isn't normal peeps is what you usually hear when tiny.
But a good appetite running around enjoying life no signs outward of sickness like you mentioned are all good signs. By 8 weeks you should be able to tell sex by voice females will have a loud quack. Drakes will have the raspy voice.

Sounds pretty much like little drakes. Why not pictures along with the video. I'd love to see them. My Runner drake Snoop talks every breath even when eating. That was a precious video of the little one.

You have some too then? I just love them! They are the sweetest. I wonder if because they are both drakes, its not like I would have a female to compare the sounds with?
I’ve got lots of pictures!
Let me see pictures of yours?

Attachments

• 4B37EAD3-C8A0-41E5-812A-7AEA4EBBE3AF.jpeg
    4B37EAD3-C8A0-41E5-812A-7AEA4EBBE3AF.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 4
  • FA68E167-2009-487C-BB91-B37BFC35204C.jpeg
    FA68E167-2009-487C-BB91-B37BFC35204C.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 2
  • D3BF1F5B-5CF8-4B1B-BFE1-8E346B6ED0C5.jpeg
    D3BF1F5B-5CF8-4B1B-BFE1-8E346B6ED0C5.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 5CF25543-29B0-4335-9219-3B9275CEC334.jpeg
    5CF25543-29B0-4335-9219-3B9275CEC334.jpeg
    660.5 KB · Views: 4
Hello! So I am looking for an insight if anyone has any or had any experiences with this.

Long story but I will make it as short and precise as possible. I hatched out 2 Indian Runner ducks who are now 8 1/2 weeks old, they are very healthy and friendly with me and follow me around everywhere. I have hatched out Cayuga ducks before but gave them new homes early. These ones are my sweet little peas and I decided to keep them, but I’ve never raised ducks to adults.
Since they were born, they have had kind of a more raspy voice. I noticed it about 5 days in, they have a slight almost wheezing sound (not sure wheezing is how I would describe it honestly) as well and as they’ve gotten older, it has increased. You can barely hear it, and it’s not all the time. Mostly when they lay down at night. They have shown no signs of having any infections, no watery eyes or discharge coming out of the nares. Basically they don’t look or act like a sick duck.
They are outside all day, with a big pool I clean twice a day, so they have fresh water to clean themselves. They sleep inside still because their duck house isn’t built yet, but that is also cleaned daily. They sleep on a towel or a blanket when it’s bed time and they have access to fresh water.

Do you guys think they are both males? Because I’ve read that males have raspy voices?
Is this normal for ducks?
Are they potentially sick with something they’ve had since they were babies? And if so what?
Should I listen with my stethoscope of their lungs?

Please any suggestions welcome!
I totally understand the ducks in the house as the duck house isn’t ready lol
But I have 16 of them
They have their own bedroom in the basement I use a tarp on the floor and shavings
Our duck house is built , insulated but the yard around it isn’t ready yet
Lots of stuff to clean up to make sure they are safe

Back
Top Bottom