INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Not chicken related, but we went to Warren Dunes State Park on Saturday for the day. The water was 14 ice cubes cold, better than 20 I guess. Came home after that, nobody cut my grass dangit. Perfect day to get buried in the sand. At least in the morning, before the sand gets hot! Scared quite a few people, they didn't see me until they almost stepped on me lol. Kyle cooling off his sister. ^^^Above, our 27 MPG Trans Am. Really, it does. Only on the highway, not the city. Anybody ever climbed the big sand dune? The very small dots you see on the hill are people getting thier feet burned off getting to the top.
Love the Dunes....both Warren and Indiana. Sorry it was so cold AND hot. Hope you still had a good time despite. :)

Just wanted to introduce myself! New Hoosier Chicken hobbiest. I am partnering with a friend in our new chicken enterprise. My farm is in between Lebanon and Sheridan Indiana, north of Indy. We were just given four hens and a small chicken tractor (currently dubbed Chateau Duct Tape :) We are in the process of building a new, sturdy coop (as my nice crafty neighbor has time to help). Once the coop is ready we will want to add a couple hens to our small flock. Our free hens seem to be old and crusty and aren't producing much :)

I also have four horses and four dogs on my four acre slice of heaven.

Just wanted to introduce myself!  New Hoosier Chicken hobbiest.  I am partnering with a friend in our new chicken enterprise.  My farm is in between Lebanon and Sheridan Indiana, north of Indy.  We were just given four hens and a small chicken tractor (currently dubbed Chateau Duct Tape :)  We are in the process of building a new, sturdy coop (as my nice crafty neighbor has time to help).  Once the coop is ready we will want to add a couple hens to our small flock.  Our free hens seem to be old and crusty and aren't producing much :)

Welcome to our thread and BYC!

Gus was sounding the alarm and getting the hens back into the coop, while blueberry took on the hawk. Those two are making for a nice little team. It started out rough a couple weeks ago when they were re-introduced, but they are pretty peaceful with each other now. Blueberry is a very submissive giant cochin roo by nature. He lets Gus be the big guy on coop-us
wink.png
. Apparently though when a hawk attacks, he kicks into high gear Rooster mode. I strung fishing line spread out about 12 feet up for confusion, and put an owl decoy in the spot the hawk came in. I have only been doing supervised free range for now. The hawk came back the next day at the same time and circled, but the chickens were cooped up, so he moved on. I havne't seen him since.

Btw My husband and I have won the battle with Gus. He no longer war dances at us, follows us around, or gets in our space. He wont mount hens in front of us anymore. He will start, but when he sees us he gently removes himself from the hen. It only took about 5 knock offs before he got the idea that we were in charge.We can sit peacefully outside in a lawn chairs without him giving us the eye now. He comes up with the girls and eats out of my hand, but moves on when he is done without a fuss. The only thing we are working on, is when visitors he doesn't know go into the pasture (without our permission I might add) He will go after them. We now warn them not to go in there with out me or my husband. The regular people who come to our house do not get attacked, because they have all asserted themselves with him and carried him around. It just takes once. That being said, we don't allow children out there with him, they don't understand the concept of dominance with him, and we don't want them or him to get hurt.

Update on Godiva, she is doing fine. she hasn't layed and egg at all, but the hawk probably didn't help that. She is perfectly healthy. Just a dirty mess. She is my pigpen. As pretty as she is, she has chosen to sleep on the bottom rung. She pretty much needs a bath everyday.

Last edited:
Just wanted to introduce myself! New Hoosier Chicken hobbiest. I am partnering with a friend in our new chicken enterprise. My farm is in between Lebanon and Sheridan Indiana, north of Indy. We were just given four hens and a small chicken tractor (currently dubbed Chateau Duct Tape :) We are in the process of building a new, sturdy coop (as my nice crafty neighbor has time to help). Once the coop is ready we will want to add a couple hens to our small flock. Our free hens seem to be old and crusty and aren't producing much :)

Howdy. Welcome to the Indiana chicken gab fest. There is a good deal of info in here.

I live just west of Lebanon, so we are sorta neighbors. I have long ago experience and 4 months of recent experience. Give me a shout if you need anything.

If you want a free rooster (Buff Orpington, Gold Laced Wyandotte, or Jersey Black Giant), call me within the next couple of hours. Otherwise, they are going under the knife.

John

I sent you a Private Message with my phone number.

John

Last edited:

Welcome FarkerFarms... Chateau Duct Tape--LOL!

Here are our kiddos post hawk. They seem to be fine.
Dirty Godiva and Gus

Our heros with their girls

Snickers the Minorca and the red twins.

:)

The other protectors

Watching over the chickies from a distance.

Nice sunny day for the little guys

The little ones

The hero Blueberry
My pretty little comb-over sporting Peaches

I'm not going to lie, it's pretty bad! LOL. We were trying to drive it from their old place to ours and were nervously watching the roof bend and buckle in the wind. I can only pray we get the new coop built before any determined predators come along! ;)

Back
Top Bottom