INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hello all, just throwing this out there in the event I'm right about my hunch. I was outside our smaller outdoor run where the little ones from @jchny2000 are and there were many out @ the time...when not one but three (2) of the little black Americauna's and the one Choc. Orp.( really hoping I'm wrong on this one ) all made a juvenile attempt @ crowing
idunno.gif
Long story short we already have one rooster ( a Leghorn from @racinchickens ) and he's reasonably well behaved and not looking for trouble so we will be trying to re-home in the event they are indeed roosters. Will post again when I'm more certain....but I thinks they are,

Last edited:
Hello all, just throwing this out there in the event I'm right about my hunch. I was outside our smaller outdoor run where the little ones from @jchny2000 are and there were many out @ the time...when not one but three (2) of the little black Americauna's and the one Choc. Orp.( really hoping I'm wrong on this one ) all made a juvenile attempt @ crowing
idunno.gif
Long story short we already have one rooster ( a Leghorn from @racinchickens ) and he's reasonably well behaved and not looking for trouble so we will be trying to re-home in the event they are indeed roosters. Will post again when I'm more certain....but I thinks they are,

I can give one or two roosters a home. It would be more of a summer and fall home I suspect But there is a chance that they would become pets and make it through the winter. They would be free ranged and live with goats. So a very happy life up until that one bad day.

idunno.gif
Oh my! If thats the case please let me know. I made the effort to make sure you got pullets, and we can swap. Wait til theres no doubt, at least 12 weeks.

I'm looking for some used pairs of shoes for my children to use as play shoes this summer. Shoes they can have run running in the muddy creeks and such and I won't feel too bad when the shoes fall apart after being washed more than a few times.
Anyone tossing out shoes as part of their spring cleaning? Or anyone have links to some cheap pairs of shoes. I'm not really interested in paying $35-50 for a pair of shoes that might last 3 or 4 months this year.

Quote:
Post shoe sizes, I will look to see if any in storage will fit! I go to goodwill a lot too, so i can watch for tag days when a color is cheap.

@Crista

When I first started with chickens I had Honeyville make me a special feed with no soy and I had them use Fertrell rather than the one they use.  It was organic and very basic.  They had a minim of 300 lbs so I split the order with another person.

After awhile I just decided to mix my own so that it wasn't going rancid sitting around.  After grains are ground they begin to go rancid so I don't like to make up more than about 2 weeks worth at a time and I only had 6 chickens so my part of the feed lasted for a long time.

Anyhow...
I now just buy the 50 lb bags of the grains and grind smaller amounts at a time using my mom's Vitamix which is great for grinding grain.  If I was doing it for a larger number of chickens I'd either get a better mill or just go ahead and have them grind for me I suppose.  But they'd have to do my recipe :)

I have a herd of chicks (around 45) about 8 weeks old, and 10 hens. When I only had a few I too ground my own but somehow chicken math happened when I wasn't looking. I had to ban myself from anyplace that had chix for sale. But I was too late. So I was thrilled to find Honeyville.
Did you find a recipe and just ask them to make it? 300# would be easy to split.

I can give one or two roosters a home. It would be more of a summer and fall home I suspect But there is a chance that they would become pets and make it through the winter. They would be free ranged and live with goats. So a very happy life up until that one bad day.
The BLRW roo and the blue Sumatra are still both available to you at @jchny2000 's place. The Sumatra is undoubtedly easier on the girls, however. He tore my ladies up and only succeeded in making maybe one baby out of about 40--even though he was probably #2 roo the whole time. His balance is terrible so he treads the girls pretty hard, but otherwise he's a nice guy.

Regarding shoes, I have some extra pairs of kids shoes here, and I can bring them down tomorrow (*pray that I remember to do anything right tomorrow*). I'm not sure on sizes, so I'll just bring everything I've got and hope for the best.

Going camping Friday night, wooohoo! DH and I always celebrate our anniversary at our campground. We met there 17 years ago, and married there on same date, 16 years ago on the 28th. Have my brother and Sis in law staying with my parents this weekend so we can get away. Hoping to get some fishing in too! Youngest DD's wedding in 3 weeks, yikes. So much left to do!

Very glad I have the chicken flocks confined now. Saw a fox around 7pm running IN my pasture, goats chasing after it! My neighbor saw it too and she text me warning it was out there. We both have smaller bird species so we warn each other if we see something. Since Sugar is due to kid soon, she is very defensive of the pasture right now. It sailed right over the fence and ran towards the creek. Daisy my donkey didn't see it until the the goats started chasing, and was right behind them.

Goslings are hatching out great! Had my first shrink wrapped baby today, but she was mostly hatched. Just had a large piece of shell stuck to her. Muscovy are finally back to laying normally and Miss Physco (the broody queen of ducks lol) is preparing her first nest. Physco is one I have to watch close, she will starve herself not wanting to leave her nest, hence her name. Keeping birds is so much a soap opera some days.

Back
Top Bottom