Individuals willing to help process by state, area

I started out going to get a rooster just for looks and to hear the crowing, and came home with 2 roos and 2 hens. . . now I have over 80 birds. I now take in other people's unwanted roosters and hatch my own Buff Orpingtons, EEs, etc, in hopes of getting not only new hens for laying eggs, but also roosters that we can eat. We process our birds. My husband tried to learn from watching youtube vids. After that fiasco, I attended a "processing training day" with my DD, where we learned hands-on a better way. We have 8 birds waiting for a nice day when DH is home, and another 13 that will go soon after. We have had meaties in the past and hope to have them again. We are just starting out with coturnix quail.

I can help someone learn, but by I am by no means any kind of expert. We live in NY, near Catskill, Cairo, and Saugerties. Our only equipment is a large water bath canning pot, and traffic cones nailed to a board on a tree. We have been using a table that we got free from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore, disposable cutting boards and tablecloths from the dollar store, and a $6 chicken plucker.

I'M in western ma , Have helped do over 100 chickens and 350 turkeys .mostly cleaning and cutting up .I'm pretty good with a knife .

I would love to learn. Don't have the need yet but would rather get my feet wet before doing the deed alone.
Also, I'd be more interested in processing ducks than chickens but would take any experience I could get.

Name: Judy
State: Florida
Area: Tampa Bay area, Pinellas County

Last edited:
Name: Alex
State: NC
Area: Raleigh area

i'm relatively new to processing but have a good handle on it. I'm happy to help get someone through the first hurdle and answer any questions.

Off to process 15 more tomorrow!

pop.gif
Watching and monitoring, no one in my area yet, so I'm posting a request.

Anyone in Northern Idaho, Eastern Washington or Western Montana willing to give a class? Please register or PM me directly. Thanks!

Along with teaching classes on Backyard Chickens, I've taught other Backyard Chickeners to process at my house.

Killing cone, outside woodstove. I have two methods, plucking or skinning and parting out without eviscerating.

BYC name: ChickenCanoe
Given Name: Guy
State: Missouri
Area: East Central

Quote:
I think most people who visit this site, are more interested in having pets, and goo goo eyeing over their birds over how 'cute' they are; as opposed to actually consuming them= like they are meant to be.

the number of people who give the roos away cuz they can't "stand to see them killed or eaten", is just as rediculous.

I know! It gets a little annoying sometimes (but don't tell them I said that, lol!) when I'm trying to ask a serious question and my serious question has 0 responses but the "look at what my chicken just did" posts get like 15 responses. It's great that they're so excited about chickens, but I don't understand how someone can give away a rooster because they don't want to process it then turn around and buy battery chicken, perpetuating a system that systematically mistreats millions of birds each year. It doesn't add up to me.

Sorry, I love this entire forum, but I just have to vent sometimes:)

ANYWAY, I think this is a great idea. My info:

Name: Brandi

State: Minnesota

Area: South of Metro/Dakota County

Tools: I have a turkey cooker (for scalding) and a plastic folding table. And a sharp knife:)

Skills: Well, on the ONE bird I've processed so far, I know that I SUCK at the killing part, but I have a pretty good handle on the rest of it. I have been taking my birds to be processed professionally since then because of the killing bit, but if I could find someone to help me (ie they kill, I do most/all of the rest in exchange for me helping with theirs) I would be willing to do that. And it would be super awesome if said person had a plucker (or we could rent one...). I didn't mind plucking, but it takes a long time.

Name: Craig
State: Ohio
Area: West/Central (Darke County)
Tools: Complete set-up

Qualification: I am often busy doing my own birds, but if it works out, I'd be willing to load everything up and come to you. I think I woud ask for compensation for gas and a small fee for equipment use. Advise and my labor are free.

I need to practice some more before I can offer assistance. I am doing another batch on the 1st of October and have someone coming out to help to help me and make sure I don't screw up. Once I get better I will post for the Addison County VT area.

Back
Top Bottom