Indoor chicken coop

What do you mean by deep litter?
I brooded my first birds in my garage, used 18" of wood shavings and it worked well. When I started to smell bird stench, I'd add more litter. That said, to LG's point... I only did a few in the garage so dander wasn't too bad. But when I put them in their winter housing and when I brooded lots of birds in my barn chicken dander was virtually everywhere. There's no way I could have tolerated that in my garage.

A 4'X4'X4' chicken tractor with 1/2" welded wire in your run Might be your best option, but I'd also add a few 3-4 hot wires around the base of your run or use a 2' skirt around the outside of the tractor to deter digging.

I brooded my first birds in my garage, used 18" of wood shavings and it worked well. When I started to smell bird stench, I'd add more litter. That said, to LG's point... I only did a few in the garage so dander wasn't too bad. But when I put them in their winter housing and when I brooded lots of birds in my barn chicken dander was virtually everywhere. There's no way I could have tolerated that in my garage.

A 4'X4'X4' chicken tractor with 1/2" welded wire in your run Might be your best option, but I'd also add a few 3-4 hot wires around the base of your run or use a 2' skirt around the outside of the tractor to deter digging.
Okay. Thanks for all the great advice.

Do you really think it will be that bad for one chicken? I was hoping since she's a lone chicken we wouldn't have too much of a problem with that.

Oh yeah, I do. I truly do! Chicken poo...:sick Cecal poo x 10!!! Shavings are dusty. Chicken dander is nasty stuff. Chickens spend a lot of time scuffing around in the shavings. That sends bits of shavings, dried fecal matter and dander airborne. Not in my house!!! :old

Back
Top Bottom