Infected cere

DRGLENNON

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Homosassa Springs, FL
My broody hatched a single chick that at about one week old the cere became infected. I'm not sure if there was an injury, I could not see it if there was. I treated the infection and a scab developed. I left the scab alone to fall off on its own but when it did I noticed the top beak was stunted in growth and now my chick has an under bite. My question is will this correct itself or is it permanent?

The chick eats fine and it doesn't suffer from it. It's mild in compared to other pics I've seen but if it doesn't correct Itself then she can't be shown. She is so beautiful that would be a shame but I know its not genetic so she may still be a great breeder.

Thanks for any information
Debbie

Are you sure about the rules concerning non genetic injuries? I don't show chickens but I do show dogs and if you have a certificate from a vet that states that the injury is not genetic then you can show the dog. The thing is....when showing against near perfect specimens it would still be hard to win.

Are you sure about the rules concerning non genetic injuries? I don't show chickens but I do show dogs and if you have a certificate from a vet that states that the injury is not genetic then you can show the dog. The thing is....when showing against near perfect specimens it would still be hard to win.
I just saw my previous response did not post. The pullet beak is a lot better, barely noticeable now. She is looking pretty good at this point.

I wish someone with more experience would tell me what genes I'm looking at she came from a pumpkin cocoapop and a black pullet.

Back
Top Bottom