Infection, glass, or tapeworm?

paulinachickies

Chirping
Dec 6, 2019
Hi,
I’m fostering a 15 month old welsummer hen, who’s been feeling under the weather for about 8 days. Shes been under her mom’s TLC for the last week but was not eating yesterday, so I took over.

She is lethargic and not moving much. One eye closed, her head is kind of tilted (mareks is a possibility, sending in a blood sample on Monday). Suspected some sort of infection so gave her doxycycline (only thing I had), 20mg/kg twice a day. Her poop has been bright green. I started syringe feeding exact parrot baby formula yesterday as well as poultry electrolytes.

Lo and behold, she pooped out a glass shard yesterday. It’s quite dull now, although her mom has found a few sharper glass shards over the last few weeks.
A4064A50-D54C-4D8F-B4E4-768A4878F8CA.jpeg

She is still pooping green and not eating today, so I dug through her poop and found these. Do these look like tapeworm? They’re not hard, kind of jellylike texture.
CD8F90EB-5800-4C15-941F-3C219ED9FC78.jpeg

I have safeguard at home and am able to give it to her but wanted some second opinions on the poop / potential worms. There are quite a lot of those things in the poop.

No vet appointments til Monday, unfortunately.

Thanks in advance!

Chickens will eat pebbles and by the time it makes it past the gizzard, they are polished looking but are still hard. If it is jelly like whitish thing, that could be tapeworm segments. Safeguard doesn't work on tapeworms. I can't tell from the pic. You may have to take more pics. Maybe @dawg53 can see something.

I dont see any kind of worms at all, no tapeworm segments neither.
I agree with @jher77, pebbles or grit, glass shard ugh.
Doxycycline should help with an infection, continue with probiotics. Hopefully your hen will recover.
Here's what tapeworm segments look like, and they slowly move in feces.
tapes seg.jpg

Thank you. She’s not doing much better but still alive. Hopefully her owner can take her to the vet this Monday or Tuesday and get her actually diagnosed. :fl
What I thought could be tapeworm segments are all light/translucent rather than white, so hopefully they aren’t tapeworms. They are jelly like though.
I am 99% sure the glass shard looking thing is indeed glass, as her owner found some more glass shards by their coop.
Her head was down for most of today, but here’s a picture of her awake.
8CD6825D-7FA6-4FD3-866B-D22800C25285.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom