Infectious Coryza........Please help

u can't get rid of it. it's a virus. u can vaccinate against it, but once ur birds have it they are carriers forever and can/will infect other birds. u don't have to cull your flock but never ever sell a carrier bird to another person. It's an all in our out disease, u either live w/knowing all ur birds have it or could have. or u kill all of them and start over....

My advice is to do a seach on here for treatment of coryza. You should be able to find the dosing of the medication(some say Tylan, some say Sulmet).

You will have to close your flock-no adding birds or selling any birds because the will always be carriers.

Good luck to you!

Do you know for sure it's infectious coryza? The symptoms can be identical to other respiratory illnesses. I think the main difference is the foul odor of the discharge that happens with coryza. Have you had a Poultry Respratory Panel done? The sample must be taken and submitted to the lab by a veterinarian. Ours cost $150.00. It will tell you whether or not your bird has one of the 7 respiratory illnesses that create a carrier state in all exposed birds, whether they showed signs of illness or not.

We just went throught this with one of our birds who brought an infection into our flock. Luckily for us it turned out to be a treatable bacterial infection and both sick birds recovered. Had it been coryza we would have to had mae a decision to cull the entire flock or keep our birds as a closed flock.

I hope yours turns out well. Good luck to you. So sorry. I know how stressful it is.

Mary

Quote:
def get them tested if u haven't already. our extension office does alot of testing free of charge. call ur county extension office

I'm the one who said to take your bird to the vet. It sounded like coryza to me, too, but other diseases have similar symptoms, and odor sensitivity varies quite a lot between different people (the odor of skunk does not bother me at all; if anything I find it more appealing than odors such as cat/dog "output." on the other hand, some odors that don't bother many I find very obnoxious)

Any vet that will see your bird is acceptable, however one who knows birds and/or chickens is best.

The County Extension Office is loosely related to the state's Department of Agriculture, and is probably connected with your state's Land Grant college.

Back
Top Bottom