Infectious Disease

lolita117

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2011
Hestand, KY
I’ve never had any issues with my flock until now. Long story short, I thought I was taking back some chickens I had gave my brother (having completely forgot that back several months ago he had asked me what it meant when a chicken is coughing and sneezing). Well come to find out these two hens, he’d got from someone else and now my entire flock is sick. They were and are still fine, and it took several weeks to hit my chickens.

Wednesday, I went to my vet office and the vet wasn’t even there, two workers were. My vet isn’t even familiar with chickens and these two individuals even less. The only antibiotic they were willing or had available to give me was Albon (Sulfadimethoxine) and I’m unsure they even gave me the right dosing on that cause all they went by was the bottle. The dosing called for 2.5oz to mix with 5 gallons of water, for 6 days. That’s how much they drink a day.

Here’s where I’m getting annoyed and need help. The one worker was all like “you don’t want to get the birds tested cause the state will shut you down.” I’m just a hobby farmer. I do good to sell my eggs. I’ve never sold chicks, and usually give extra hatched roosters away to be eaten. I’m not some mass corporation. I know that the Sulfadimethoxine will treat infectious coryza but not mycoplasma. I’ve been treating for a 3 days now and I am seeing some improvement, but not as quickly as I’d like.

I’ve also ordered Tylosin 50%. It should be here by the first week of April.

So for the questions/help

Where can I get my birds tested?

Are any of these two infectious diseases grounds for the “state” to get involved?

Is my dosing correct on the Sulfadimethoxine? The label said 1oz per 2 gallons of water.

I’ve done enough research to know both the infectious coryza and mycoplasma are always going to be present in my flock and the only way to get rid of it, is a clean sweep. I can’t do that right now. I have a flock of about 70, mostly pure breeds and they are my babies. So I guess what I’m asking is, am I over panicking? Is this more common and normal than I feel like it is?

Thanks in advance.

Neither coryza or mycoplasma are diseases that the state is going to come out and kill your flock over. There are other things it might be too, like infectious bronchitis or ornithobacterium, etc.

Easiest way to find out is either going to be to cull one and send it for a necropsy if you have a university near you that will do it for a low cost, or send off to Zoologix and have them run their poultry respiratory panel on them, which costs $98 and only requires that you get three throat swabs from one of the birds that's showing symptoms.

Then you can decide from there what you want to do, be that culling your flock and starting over, or just running a closed flock, meaning no birds ever leave your property.

Back
Top Bottom