Infertile Silkie roo

TreeHugger

Songster
Apr 7, 2008
I have silkies & I keep the roos separated from the hens year around. I decided to hatch out some chicks & I put my best looking roo in with 5 of my best looking hens about a month ago. I left them together two weeks before I started gathering eggs. I have had those eggs under my broody silkie eggs since then. When I checked them last night they were all infertile! He has never been sick & appears to be healthy. I've heard that roos can go infertile, but he is only 3 years old & I don't think that is old for a roo. Is there anything I could put in his diet to boost his fertility? Is three old for a roo?

Just out of curiosity....How do you AI a chicken??? Why would you do that in the first place? And wouldn't that be expensive? It's not like a horse where they can do their thing to a block, but for a chicken, wouldn't that be hard to do????
Like I said, just curious...That sounded very weird for a chicken
smile.png

It can be done and its not hard or expensive, you can do it yourself. I've seen it described in a book somewhere. the biggest domestic turkeys are done by AI as the monster whites can go to 50-70 lbs

I've seen semen collected from bulls and stud horses, but never chickens... just wondering how that happens.

I have an AI thread detailing step by step instructions, but I haven't a clue where it is. Its rather easy... its basically a rub, rub, rub of the back, and a squeeze at the vent.... I'll see if I can find the thread.

Back
Top Bottom