Infrared lamps vs normal lights!

QueenDuck

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
Okay, so I was wondering what heat lamp would be better for ducklings?
Would it be the Infrared lamp that gives off loads of heat? Or is it the normal white bulb that gives off some heat but alot of light to get them used to the outdoor feeling of 'sun'.

What do you think is the best sort of lamp and why? If you have any other ways to heat a brooder, please say!!
QueenDuck.
hugs.gif

I use the red heat lamp bulbs in the heat base. It cost a whole $9 at TSC and a 2 pack of bulbs is $8. I only have a chick waterer in the brooder and take the ducklings out for swim/play time with water. I would never use a white bulb. Just think what it would be like to sit under a lamp all day, the red light is easier on the eyes and is specifically made for heat. White bulbs are not made to run 24/7 or made to emit heat in a safe way.

I used a regular 40watt bulb on my 3 ducklings because when I got them, I couldn't find the infrared ones anywhere!
They turned out just fine. Personally, I would use a white or red infrared bulb!
I'm getting day old chicks any hour now and I couldn't find the red ones so the white one is the next best.
Wishing you the best!!!

I use the red heat lamp bulbs in the heat base. It cost a whole $9 at TSC and a 2 pack of bulbs is $8. I only have a chick waterer in the brooder and take the ducklings out for swim/play time with water. I would never use a white bulb. Just think what it would be like to sit under a lamp all day, the red light is easier on the eyes and is specifically made for heat. White bulbs are not made to run 24/7 or made to emit heat in a safe way.
What watt bulb did you get from TSC?
Where I live, the store only had 250watt. I feel like that may be too much heat for ducklings.

Red Bulbs are believed to decrease fighting among chicks so it may be the same for ducklings

What watt bulb did you get from TSC?
Where I live, the store only had 250watt. I feel like that may be too much heat for ducklings.
Its a 250 watt, but I have a large brooder so the ducklings hang under the lamp some and at the opposite end some. I also keep my house kinda cool, I dont set the heat about 63ish during the winter and shut it off early.

I've used a white bulb and red bulb on different hatches. I never noticed a difference. (I was raising chicks) They did sleep better with a red bulb, but they slept more often. I found myself using a white light during the day and a red light at night. I'm brooding my third clutch right now, but it's summer, in Texas, so I don't need a heat lamp. =P

White bulbs only give off radiant heat, shatter easier, and the light is irritating to the chicks.

Red bulbs give off radiant and infrared heat (the kind that seems to warm your insides up, for lack of a better description), Red "brooder" bulbs have a shatter resistant coating, brooder bulbs have a long life thicker element, red light is soothing to the chicks.

The research was done many, many years ago......that is why bulbs labeled as "brooder" are red. Someone may call a white bulb a "brooder" bulb, but it is usually not labeled as such on the package.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom