Ingrown Feather? Antibiotic/treatment question?

tpbcbe

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 20, 2013
First off you guys have been super helpful in all chicken questions. I haven't had to post much because I'm usually able to find the answer by searching a bit. This time I think I need a little more advice.....

To start off with we have a rooster that is pretty nasty and keeps us from the girls, I feel awful that this problem got so bad without noticing it sooner. This is about a 15mo old buff, otherwise healthy hen. Her poops since being inside have been pretty runny and green, I do have her on some electrolyte supplement in her water and she is still eating her layer pellets. She has not laid since being in the house, about 5 or 6 days now. I can't really tell if she has an abscess or ingrown feather. I believe the one in her tail area is from an ingrown feather as it didn't appear until we started treating this wound. We have her separated in the house in a dog crate and are cleaning the wound with peroxide and neosporin once a day and I spray Vetrycin on once a day (opposite the time of the cleaning).

What should be our next step? Trying to drain? Doesn't feel like much to drain, it's more semi-solid. Antibiotics? And which? I can only find info for Tylan, my vet (who is a friend but isn't well versed in chickens said she'd probably do Baytil, however I'd need to bring her in for that and I'm trying to avoid the cost of a vet visit if possible).

We are fairly new (a year or so) to chickens so when something crazy like this comes up I need to lean on you experts to help, thanks in advance. Hope the pictures help (the second one is sideways, sorry the bottom of the picture is her tail and the top would be towards her head), I can do other views or more details just let me know what you need :)

Last edited:
First off you guys have been super helpful in all chicken questions. I haven't had to post much because I'm usually able to find the answer by searching a bit. This time I think I need a little more advice.....

To start off with we have a rooster that is pretty nasty and keeps us from the girls, I feel awful that this problem got so bad without noticing it sooner. This is about a 15mo old buff, otherwise healthy hen. Her poops since being inside have been pretty runny and green, I do have her on some electrolyte supplement in her water and she is still eating her layer pellets. She has not laid since being in the house, about 5 or 6 days now. I can't really tell if she has an abscess or ingrown feather. I believe the one in her tail area is from an ingrown feather as it didn't appear until we started treating this wound. We have her separated in the house in a dog crate and are cleaning the wound with peroxide and neosporin once a day and I spray Vetrycin on once a day (opposite the time of the cleaning).

What should be our next step? Trying to drain? Doesn't feel like much to drain, it's more semi-solid. Antibiotics? And which? I can only find info for Tylan, my vet (who is a friend but isn't well versed in chickens said she'd probably do Baytil, however I'd need to bring her in for that and I'm trying to avoid the cost of a vet visit if possible).

We are fairly new (a year or so) to chickens so when something crazy like this comes up I need to lean on you experts to help, thanks in advance. Hope the pictures help (the second one is sideways, sorry the bottom of the picture is her tail and the top would be towards her head), I can do other views or more details just let me know what you need :)

where is that located exactly?

Basically underneath her right wing (another reason it's gotten so bad prior to us noticing). The smaller one in the second pic is right near her tail area.

Basically underneath her right wing (another reason it's gotten so bad prior to us noticing). The smaller one in the second pic is right near her tail area.
The one under the wing looks necrotic, unless it's something else that looks black on there. But I would suggest debridement if it is, then antibiotic ointment, and perhaps a dose of Tylan as well. As for an ingrown feather, that I have no experience with...

The one under the wing looks necrotic, unless it's something else that looks black on there. But I would suggest debridement if it is, then antibiotic ointment, and perhaps a dose of Tylan as well. As for an ingrown feather, that I have no experience with...
Thanks. I was concerned about it being necrotic as well, I have been able to scrap away some of it and get to red, bloody tissue, I will try and get more tonight when we clean her up. How do I find a dose for Tylan, the only one I can find is injectable and not labeled for poultry so there is no info on dosing.

I think something much more drastic than an ingrown feather is going on there.
I agree, but am not sure if that's what started this all or what. As for your rooster question, we have debated back and forth on getting rid of him, but are still on the fence. This may persuade us though as the buffs are the sweetest hens we have and I hate that she's got such a nasty issue right now that was overlooked because of him.

Back
Top Bottom