Injured beak - false alarm

TheCluckShack

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2023
Hi there! Hoping someone can help. My 15 week old pullet first chipped a small piece off her beak, and now seems to be injuring it further. This evening she was pecking at food and things way harder than I've seen her do before, and it looks like her beak is bending/splintering. I've read about using a piece of tea bag and super glue. Not sure if that makes the most sense here? I've also read not to do that? I'm considering separating her and giving her a deep bowl with wet food because maybe the furious pecking was because she's hungry? She seemed to be drinking fine, but something definitely isn't okay.

Appreciate your advice!
20230815_201705.jpg

I should mention I haven't seen any blood and I don't think the other chickens are picking on her. It seems to be self-inflicted and I think she's been eating and drinking okay except for how hard she's pecking at food.

False alarm. Turns out this must have been something on her beak, not the keratin from her beak fraying because it was gone this morning.View attachment 3610708
Phew! I was going to make the most mundane post and tell y'all, "Her beak looks just fine in this pic." It shows how conscientious you are. See? She knew what she was doing, too, knocking that whatever off of there.

An easy solve is a good solve! :)

Back
Top Bottom