Injured Blue Slate Hen

megshenhut

Songster
14 Years
Jun 21, 2007
Central Colorado
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help my injured hen? She has a huge hole on her back/side from breeding. I've separated her from the flock, but I'm concerned it won't heal up without some intervention. It looks fairly deep, not just surface tearing. It has been bleeding and draining. I'm concerned about infection setting in.

MissTurkery, thank you for the advise. We have blue-kote, so that is what I put on her. She is in a cage in the turkey coop and not a happy girl. I think she will have to be in there a while for this hole to heal, but as long as she heals. I don't think that I can stitch this hole.

I will. I'm giving her a few days in the cage before I tackle checking on her. It is such an ordeal and she hates to be messed with and unfortunately you cannot see a thing without looking under her wing.

I checked my girl's back last night. The injury is healing nicely. All scabbed over, not sign of infection. Thank goodness. Now to just wait for it to completely heal before I subject her to the tom's advances.

Back
Top Bottom