FaffyChicken

In the Brooder
May 27, 2022
Hi

I’m new to raising backyard chickens.
I incubated for the first time and half the eggs hatched. I have three cute polish and the rest of the eggs didn’t hatch even after 22 days and the ones that piped got shrink wrapped because I took chicks out and the last one was the polish had its leg stuck in the incubator egg pod even though I turned the rotator off, so I had to open and rescue it.
There was a wound in his thigh so I kept it clean with iodine. The wound started to heal but formed a thick scar which I assumed was the reason he couldn’t bend his leg that well and he could walk and run but in a lop sided way
So I thought I’d do some physical therapy to help him stretch and flex so the muscle doesn’t atrophy or permanently heal in a lop sided manner When i gently did the Excersizes to check all his joints on the faulty leg had a normal range of motion I heard this tiny pop and my heart sank
Now his walk is much worse he can’t bend his ‘knee’ at all! and that leg is totally out on the side and he walks around in circles sometimes
I think I damaged him forever and now he’s in more pain because of me
I’m heartbroken and feel terrible
What can I do? I’ve posted a picture and I’ll try to upload a video now
PLEASE HELP ME

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 5
Hi I know a treatment even though it’s used for splay legs but I think it will be effective on him too,here is a video
Thank you dear! I’ll try it
🙏 but you know in the video the joint she refers to as the ‘knee’ that one can bend, the joint above it (nearer to the hip) that doesn’t bend at all. I think it’s the one that made a ‘pop’ sound 😭 when I mistakenly thought I was helping it bend. If the hip is out of place , you think this may help it back?

Thank you dear! I’ll try it
🙏 but you know in the video the joint she refers to as the ‘knee’ that one can bend, the joint above it (nearer to the hip) that doesn’t bend at all. I think it’s the one that made a ‘pop’ sound 😭 when I mistakenly thought I was helping it bend. If the hip is out of place , you think this may help it back?
I really don’t know and if it doesn’t work please contact a vet,I have a few friends with experience I think they could help,I will answer you and tell you a solution if they have one,for now just try the one in the video:)

Last edited:
it's likely was a tendon issue, it might have twisted in the incubator. Stretching it likely inflamed it. I'll let someone else comment but I would consider putting him down.

it's likely was a tendon issue, it might have twisted in the incubator. Stretching it likely inflamed it. I'll let someone else comment but I would consider putting him down.
Someone told me it’s likely a slipped tendon,so Right now I will tell her a treatment for that maybe?

Hi

I’m new to raising backyard chickens.
I incubated for the first time and half the eggs hatched. I have three cute polish and the rest of the eggs didn’t hatch even after 22 days and the ones that piped got shrink wrapped because I took chicks out and the last one was the polish had its leg stuck in the incubator egg pod even though I turned the rotator off, so I had to open and rescue it.
There was a wound in his thigh so I kept it clean with iodine. The wound started to heal but formed a thick scar which I assumed was the reason he couldn’t bend his leg that well and he could walk and run but in a lop sided way
So I thought I’d do some physical therapy to help him stretch and flex so the muscle doesn’t atrophy or permanently heal in a lop sided manner When i gently did the Excersizes to check all his joints on the faulty leg had a normal range of motion I heard this tiny pop and my heart sank
Now his walk is much worse he can’t bend his ‘knee’ at all! and that leg is totally out on the side and he walks around in circles sometimes
I think I damaged him forever and now he’s in more pain because of me
I’m heartbroken and feel terrible
What can I do? I’ve posted a picture and I’ll try to upload a video now
PLEASE HELP ME
Hiii,I send messages and finally got a respond,They said it’s likely a slipped tendon and sent me an article on how to fix a slipped tendon
https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...u-can-do-to-help-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html

Here is a good thread to read, and follow the advice starting at post 11 or 12 after the vet visit:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peachick-with-slipped-tendon.1092979/page-2
I got this information thanks to @Eggcessive

Back
Top Bottom