Injured cockerels

Sondra_Lovell

Chirping
Dec 10, 2018
Jacksonville FL
944E4CCD-D390-4BE3-8AF2-D4E8CBAD7A89.jpeg
DB7A75B7-FA38-4481-A525-79348470C250.jpeg
So, I have a neighbor who refuses to keep their dog contained. They know their dog gets out and likes to attack animals because it is trapped in a garage while owners are at work. We have witnessed several attacks and have called animal control who actually came out today. The dog has attacked several cats as well as chicken (all feral). I called all over the state of FL seeking advice only to be directed to another number with no advice. Today I find one of the adult cockerels injured in the street. Dog owning neighbors act surprised every time. Even after they were in my yard on my porch screaming in terror as their dog was mangling an opossum just two weekends ago. The still act surprised when I tell them, your dog got out and mangled community wildlife. After talking to my neighbor about the poor rooster I had to scoop off the street, still alive. I left to find the beautiful white rooster injured too. And then!! I heard a ruckus across the street where one of the most docile roosters attacking another. His head was stuck in a fence but got out and I could see he had been mangled too!! Feathers and blood in neighbors yard by our big shared hedge that the chickens roost in. Feathers and blood up to their front door. They must have seen this poor rooster and just brought their dog inside and left this poor guy freezing and in shock in the street. No consideration!! I brought him inside. He looks really bad, and the two other injured cockerels might not make it cause the others are attacking them because they are bleeding, but too agile to capture. What can I do to help the worst injured? His comb and waddle, eyes and neck are so bloody and swollen. I have him in a box on a heating mat. I gave him water with a meds syringe. His breathing seems obstructed. I can only assume from blood that is dripping down his tiny head. Please help with any advice. Thank you!!

View attachment 1612933 View attachment 1612934 So, I have a neighbor who refuses to keep their dog contained. They know their dog gets out and likes to attack animals because it is trapped in a garage while owners are at work. We have witnessed several attacks and have called animal control who actually came out today. The dog has attacked several cats as well as chicken (all feral). I called all over the state of FL seeking advice only to be directed to another number with no advice. Today I find one of the adult cockerels injured in the street. Dog owning neighbors act surprised every time. Even after they were in my yard on my porch screaming in terror as their dog was mangling an opossum just two weekends ago. The still act surprised when I tell them, your dog got out and mangled community wildlife. After talking to my neighbor about the poor rooster I had to scoop off the street, still alive. I left to find the beautiful white rooster injured too. And then!! I heard a ruckus across the street where one of the most docile roosters attacking another. His head was stuck in a fence but got out and I could see he had been mangled too!! Feathers and blood in neighbors yard by our big shared hedge that the chickens roost in. Feathers and blood up to their front door. They must have seen this poor rooster and just brought their dog inside and left this poor guy freezing and in shock in the street. No consideration!! I brought him inside. He looks really bad, and the two other injured cockerels might not make it cause the others are attacking them because they are bleeding, but too agile to capture. What can I do to help the worst injured? His comb and waddle, eyes and neck are so bloody and swollen. I have him in a box on a heating mat. I gave him water with a meds syringe. His breathing seems obstructed. I can only assume from blood that is dripping down his tiny head. Please help with any advice.
Thank take him to a vet so his airway can be secure and his wounds treated.

Chickens have amazing recuperative powers.

Give him supportive care--rest, isolation, easy access to food and water. A couple of inches of straw to rest on or whatever he is used to. Make sure he can move away from the heating mat if he wants to. A little bit of light all the time, so that when he is thirsty or hungry he can see his food and water. Quiet, too, so he doesn't get agitated while he is healing.

If you have a friendly uninjured bird in a cage near him, so he can see that bird eat and drink, that will prompt him to eat and drink, too.

You probably won't need to give him water or food for a day or two, when the swelling goes down.

I have a Houdan who has completely recovered on her own from a raccoon taking off her leg and cutting her up. If he can recover, he will. It doesn't always help to take them to the vet, who often wants to put them to sleep. Even my very good chicken vet would have put my Houdan to sleep. She sure fooled him!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I would do.
I’d collect the dead chickens.
I’d shoot the darn dog.
I would take photo’s.
PUT the dog In the pictures with the chickens...
then tell whomever....
that when the dog was done with the chickens he came at you!
I get enraged :mad:
Over irresponsible dog owners!
:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
View attachment 1612933 View attachment 1612934 So, I have a neighbor who refuses to keep their dog contained. They know their dog gets out and likes to attack animals because it is trapped in a garage while owners are at work. We have witnessed several attacks and have called animal control who actually came out today. The dog has attacked several cats as well as chicken (all feral). I called all over the state of FL seeking advice only to be directed to another number with no advice. Today I find one of the adult cockerels injured in the street. Dog owning neighbors act surprised every time. Even after they were in my yard on my porch screaming in terror as their dog was mangling an opossum just two weekends ago. The still act surprised when I tell them, your dog got out and mangled community wildlife. After talking to my neighbor about the poor rooster I had to scoop off the street, still alive. I left to find the beautiful white rooster injured too. And then!! I heard a ruckus across the street where one of the most docile roosters attacking another. His head was stuck in a fence but got out and I could see he had been mangled too!! Feathers and blood in neighbors yard by our big shared hedge that the chickens roost in. Feathers and blood up to their front door. They must have seen this poor rooster and just brought their dog inside and left this poor guy freezing and in shock in the street. No consideration!! I brought him inside. He looks really bad, and the two other injured cockerels might not make it cause the others are attacking them because they are bleeding, but too agile to capture. What can I do to help the worst injured? His comb and waddle, eyes and neck are so bloody and swollen. I have him in a box on a heating mat. I gave him water with a meds syringe. His breathing seems obstructed. I can only assume from blood that is dripping down his tiny head. Please help with any advice. Thank you!!
Separate your cockerels and place them in a warm area on clean dry bedding. A dog kennel will work well. They need to be in separate spaces.

Flush their wounds with saline, warm soapy water (rinse well), diluted betadine or chlorhexidine.
If the breathing is labored, look inside the beak to see if that is bloody. He may also have damage to an air sac, hard to know - feel the body gently to see if there are any places that are swelled up like air.
Put a little triple antibiotic ointment or something like Vetericyn on the wounds. Check them over really well for any puncture wounds hidden under the feathers.

Offer something to drink - sugar water, electrolytes (gatorade for the first few hours), poultry vitamins. Be careful syringing fluids they can easily choke. Don't necessarily worry about eating, just get them stabilized.

What breed are these supposed to be?

Last edited:
How will I know if I get a reply to my query?
There's an alert box on the top right of the screen. When you receive a reply it should show a number in a red box (number of replies to threads that you created or are subscribed to). Just click on the icon if you see a number.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-receive-alerts-or-stop-receiving-alerts.1174724/
Another way is to click the "Watched Threads" button, which works when your alerts don't show up.

Since the best advice has been stated, I'd really encourage you to photo log the incidents and keep a log of when and who you spoke to when dealing with the dogs owners and file a formal complaint with your local authorities. I rarely blame the animal for these things, most of the time in my police career its bad owners and there really needs to be some action taken in this regard. Can't have pets roaming the streets mauling and killing other pets and I'm sure this is not the only issue with them. Good luck and I hope you keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom