Injured duck now dead. HELP

jdywntr

Songster
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
Somerville, AL
About 4 hours ago I went outside to check on my broody duck and found one of my drakes stuck behind the grill with 2 others pecking at his head. I shooed them away and moved the grill he flopped to the ground but came around when I picked him up. He had a few cuts (small) by his eyes but that was it otherwise appeared fine physically. I put him in the duck run alone and brought him out some veggies which he didn't touch. He lay down for a bit but whenever I would go to check on him he'd get up. About 30 minutes ago I went out and he was resting his head on his bill on the ground. He didn't move when I came close. I tried to force some water down him thinking it was heat stroke. A minute later he thrashed a bit and died.
hit.gif

With the heat here, I immediately dug a hole in a corner of the yard. I went to get him out of the run and as I was carrying him the other ducks came running. I put him in the hole and the two ducks from earlier basically attacked him. ????? The males always have their little chases but everyone was fine this morning.

Any ideas? Should I be worried about others? I have ducklings hatching outside as we speak.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your duck's death. I can't help since I have chickens and know nothing about ducks (sorry), but I did want to say that if you get no responses here you might want to post this under the "Ducks" forum. You might get a faster response there. Good luck to you with the others in your flock!

Thanks. I realy have the circle of life going on since about 10 minutes after I buried him I checked on my sitting hen and the first duckling hatched.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom