Injured Duck Question

bcullom

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 23, 2013
My dear sweet Rouen was attacked by a dog when she escaped the pasture- the dog mouthed her pretty good but wasn't really trying to kill her (I don't think). Not much bleeding but she does have a puncture to her chest. I kept her inside for the night and the next day she seemed much better so I put her back with her pals, and on day 3 she seems to be continuing to improve. However, I noticed today that one of her eyes has turned white. Is this from an injury from the dog or possibly a sign of something internal? Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Has the entire eye turned white or is it like a white haze over everything?

I think the entire eye is white- can't see any color behind it and it seems like she can't see out of it

Does the other eye look completely normal? How deep is her current water bowl?

Other eye is fine- water bowl is 1.5ft deep, just put fresh water in, and during the day she has access to a small pond

I did some research- I'm thinking it could be the nictating membrane- I hope it's not a sign of her condition worsening from internal injury or something- she ate and drank today and was walking around, hoping for the best, thank you for the information

This morning the eye is looking infected- no longer white but glossy with drainage. What ratio saline do you mix or do you buy it premixed?

Found a recipe for saline and gave her eye a good rinse- she continues to improve so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Her drake is super protective and has started 'attacking' me, good that she has a protecter but a pain for me

Back
Top Bottom