Injured Duck

I tried the parrot mix I have for my bird which has sunflower seeds and cracked corn and he ate a lot of it but afterwards spat most of it out of his beak. I think the hook is holding the back of his tongue in a position that's preventing food from going into his throat.

But the small pieces of bread he seems to be able to get through, though I have to break it off very small. If it's too big the other ducks come and steal it from him.
I buy bread just for them and always make sure it's whole wheat to be better for their digestive systems. They go nuts for bread and seem to love it...and it's cheap.

I also have an injured heron (I think he's visible in the background of one of the pics above). I think he's also the victim of a fishing hook because his tongue is sticking out of the bottom of his beak/throat and there's a hole there. So I throw him a whole slice of bread (whole wheat) and he brings it to the pond to wet it first and eats it.

The bread then attracts the small fish that he manages to catch.

Then there's the one eyed duck that comes around that got his eye poked out as a baby....I swear it seems like my place is a haven for handicapped wildlife! I wish I could care for them all.

As for the Muscovy with the fish hook....he's nowhere to be found this morning. I have to be out all day again, but most likely he'll be back by sundown.

I have a friend who lives in Winter haven I reached out to her this morning to see if she knows any one in the Orlando area who might come and help you get hold of this drake. I'll be sure to post her reply if she does. Get those wire cutters.

Sounds like you are doing a good job caring for these animals. Hope he shows up today.

Thank you. I love having all these wildlife animals right outside my back door. In the winters we even have pelican flocks that descend on the pond till it warms up and they go back to wherever they came from.
And the HOA recently placed signs saying "Don't feed the ducks" all over the back but I ignore them. I've been living here almost 10 years and always fed them, so a sign isn't going to deter me! :)

Back
Top Bottom