Injured ducks! Animal attack, two not extending their necks??

HaileyA

Hatching
May 15, 2023
Help! 4 of my year old buff Orpington ducks were attacked by some animal. Puncture wounds on neck. One male ran away and hid, when he finally came back the other males attacked him?? Is this normal??
I’ve cleaned wounds and they look like they are healing well but two of the ducks are not moving or extending their necks? Will this improve with time? I’ve isolated the injured male they were attacking, but I’m scared to reintroduce him. Any advice.
Thank you!
Hailey

Help! 4 of my year old buff Orpington ducks were attacked by some animal. Puncture wounds on neck. One male ran away and hid, when he finally came back the other males attacked him?? Is this normal??
I’ve cleaned wounds and they look like they are healing well but two of the ducks are not moving or extending their necks? Will this improve with time? I’ve isolated the injured male they were attacking, but I’m scared to reintroduce him. Any advice.
Thank you!
Hailey
Yes, its normal that they attack one that's bleeding. Also, that he ran away and came back after they were all agitated is a thing, ducks are flock animals, but once they've been riled up, they attack first and flock later.
The 2 that are not moving or extending their necks might just be trying to calm down after the animal attack, or might have also been attacked and don't have visible wounds.

How long has it been since the attack?

Also, I've found that putting honey and apple cider vinegar in water for poultry might give them a little bit of a boost when they get stressed. (Raw honey, and acv with "the mother", 2 tbps/gal)

Yes, its normal that they attack one that's bleeding. Also, that he ran away and came back after they were all agitated is a thing, ducks are flock animals, but once they've been riled up, they attack first and flock later.
The 2 that are not moving or extending their necks might just be trying to calm down after the animal attack, or might have also been attacked and don't have visible wounds.

How long has it been since the attack?

Also, I've found that putting honey and apple cider vinegar in water for poultry might give them a little bit of a boost when they get stressed. (Raw honey, and acv with "the mother", 2 tbps/gal)
It has been 3 days since the attack. I def notice they are more docile since. And some leave the shore of my pond much.
The male that was being attacked….can I let him back in the the flock ? Or will they attack him?
I will try the apple cider vinegar too. Thank you!

It has been 3 days since the attack. I def notice they are more docile since. And some leave the shore of my pond much.
The male that was being attacked….can I let him back in the the flock ? Or will they attack him?
I will try the apple cider vinegar too. Thank you!
You can try to let him back in, and see how it goes. There's a good possibility they will peck at him to establish who is dominate. It's not necessarily an attack, and it's normal. If they all mob him and chase and pull out his feathers, it's an attack and you're going to have to re-introduce him.

Keep me updated? Also, keep an eye on the 2 that won't extend their neck and make sure that stops being a thing in a day or 2.

You can try to let him back in, and see how it goes. There's a good possibility they will peck at him to establish who is dominate. It's not necessarily an attack, and it's normal. If they all mob him and chase and pull out his feathers, it's an attack and you're going to have to re-introduce him.

Keep me updated? Also, keep an eye on the 2 that won't extend their neck and make sure that stops being a thing in a day or 2.
Ok so I’ve isolated my injured male for 3+ days. I reintroduced him last night. (Since I work today and can’t let him out) They chased him out of pond and into coop, pecked at him then left alone. I put a camera on them over night (in coop) and they would periodically peck at him. And this am, they keep going after him, even tho he stays in house. I’m not sure what to do with him? Will they leave him alone eventually? They essentially free range all day and are put in at night. I can’t hardly watch them go after him anymore. His neck is def deformed/injured. He will eat a few mealworms and peas but not much else. I’m new to ducks, so I’m learning. I’ll take any advice I can get! Thanks!

Ok so I’ve isolated my injured male for 3+ days. I reintroduced him last night. (Since I work today and can’t let him out) They chased him out of pond and into coop, pecked at him then left alone. I put a camera on them over night (in coop) and they would periodically peck at him. And this am, they keep going after him, even tho he stays in house. I’m not sure what to do with him? Will they leave him alone eventually? They essentially free range all day and are put in at night. I can’t hardly watch them go after him anymore. His neck is def deformed/injured. He will eat a few mealworms and peas but not much else. I’m new to ducks, so I’m learning. I’ll take any advice I can get! Thanks!
If he's not eating, he's better off isolated until he heals. Given that it's been about a week and he's not eating much, it might be time to take him to a vet, if that's an option.
If the other ducks are still pecking at him, he's not going to be able to eat and might die of starvation.

Also @ruthhope might have better suggestions, she runs a duck rescue. (And hopefully doesn't mind me tagging her)
I think it would be a good idea to keep the injured drake separate -- particularly at night in the coop -- until he is fully healed. And then gently get him back with the others -- a few hours at a time under supervision initially

I use a dog crate in the coop to provide a safe space for any duck that is being bullied. One of mine is a long term sleeper in a crate although he gets on well with the others during the day -- they do occasionally peck out at him but he can get away in the back garden. He is happy in his crate at night and it resolves the issue of him being pecked at.

When I am reintroducing a duck to a flock I use a temporary dog pen to give the duck being reintroduced space to be outdoors but separate from the others. I do have a small wading pool that I can put in it. Whenever I cannot supervise, the duck to be reintroduced is in the pen, but I let it out to be with the others when I am there. Sometimes reintroductions are quick and painless -- my last one I reintroduced a bully after 3-4 months separation and he was back integrated and nolonger bullying after 2 days. Other times it can be 2 weeks depending on the temperaments of all the ducks involved. The the duck being reintroduced remains separated in a dog crate at night until fully integrated during the day.

I think your drake will reintegrate -- just give him time!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom