Injured feral pigeon - need help!

I'm following, too. You are getting great advice here!

I used to volunteer at a facility that takes in injured birds. People dropped off pigeons frequently. I didn't work much with the pigeons and doves (I had the finches, swifts, jays, ravens, starlings, and raptors). I did have to tube feed the pigeons and doves a few times when covering others' shifts. Made me nervous. But we did basically what you're doing otherwise.

Do you think there is a facility like the Wildlife Care Associaton somewhere in your part of the world?

At that facility, there were many pigeons (who are, in my humble opinion, the greatest fliers!) that managed to live happily after injuries that rendered them without the use of a foot. A whole leg is a different story, but some still managed.

Alright, here it is. It's foot is curled up. It's slowly getting better. But not fast. It has a good appetite and drinks alot. IMG_20190302_134845.jpg IMG_20190302_134919.jpg

I got some pills from the chemist and fed it to a chicken in a bit of cheese! Don't think you could do that with a pigeon though! Maybe if you could crush one up and mix it with a little water and somehow try to get it to swallow it with something. It would be easier to add to drinking water but you would need to mix quite a few and the other birds would also get it. Whether that's bad or not I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom