Injured hen?

Drosera

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 22, 2008
Henryville, Quebec
Hello all.

I have 4 hens. One, a black sexlink, seems to be injured. 3 days ago, she was absolutely fine. The next day, I noticed she hadn't come out into the open pen, so I looked for her inside the shelter. She was sitting on the ground. She can't seem to stand. This has not changed since then. I checked her over quickly, and can't see anything obvious.

She looks otherwise well, eats and drinks. She's not laying eggs that I can tell, but I suppose that's expected. I just can't figure out if she hurt herself, and how, or if this is a disease? But I wouldn't expect the last, given that she is still alive, not poofed or swollen or anything.

First of all, might anyone have any ideas what happened to her?

Secondly, what can I do to help? If her limbs were injured, could I help them get better? Perhaps I could make her a plank of wood with 2 holes to slide her legs into so she isn't on them, set her up with food and such.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

It's so hard to tell what's wrong sometimes........it would be so nice if they could just tell you.
Do the legs feel warm? Are the toes able to grip?
Any bruises on her back under the feathers?
Does her abdomen feel normal?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

Her legs feel fine, temperature wise. One foot would grip, the other would not, No bruises that I could see, and everything feels normal as far as I can tell. She does smell pretty bad underneath, but then I'm not usually inspecting her so closely. She generally is alright with me pickig her up, but now she doesn't like it, so I expect that at least when I do, she is uncomfotable or in pain.

Do you think putting her on a board with 2 holes for her legs would help any?

Is she doing any better today?
Dunno about the board, if she's in pain when you pick her up, a board will be really uncomfortable. Maybe a sling made out of something soft?

Back
Top Bottom