Injured Leg Inhibiting Dust Bathing

kfsilver

Chirping
Apr 16, 2021
I wasn't certain whether to post this here or in the pests forum, but since I am dealing with an injury that is causing this issue, I hope those here will have better answers.

I have a Jersey Giant hen who is now (as of this month) eight years old. She has an injured leg that I have done my best to get her to rest and not use, but as she has aged it has gotten worse for her (this was an old injury, and seems to have flared up again as she has aged). She is still active. Still walking around and pecking and trotting up for treats. But she at this time cannot dust bathe, and now I am finding mites on specifically her, but also on my other, healthier, hens.

I do *not* have many options for chicken vets around me. Mainly "exotic" vets who admittedly are used to parrots more than chickens. I am continuing to look and see if a vet comes around who can treat chickens, though (it's hit and miss).

So my questions are:

First: any painkillers I can research for her to help with what seems to be the old injury to help her care better for herself?

Second: if I do find a vet willing and able to treat her, what should I expect to be looked over and potential diagnostic options might I ask about.

Third, and most immediate importance to me: how can I help her manage mites if she cannot dust bathe at this time?

Thank you!

Chickens don’t get mites unless they come into the coop on wild birds, vermin, hiding in straw, or brought in by a new flock member. If she has them, I would treat her and the others with permethrin horse spray or garden dust. Elector PSP also is good. Mites hatch every few days, so they should be treated every 7 days 2 or 3 times. The coop should be emptied of old bedding, and the coop, nests, and roosts should be cleaned and sprayed with permethrin. Mites hide in the cracks of the coop, and are hard to get rid of.

As for dust bathing, you could put her in the dust bath every few days, and do it for her. I have done that for a few chickens who were broody or not taking care of themselves.

Chickens don’t get mites unless they come into the coop on wild birds, vermin, hiding in straw, or brought in by a new flock member. If she has them, I would treat her and the others with permethrin horse spray or garden dust. Elector PSP also is good. Mites hatch every few days, so they should be treated every 7 days 2 or 3 times. The coop should be emptied of old bedding, and the coop, nests, and roosts should be cleaned and sprayed with permethrin. Mites hide in the cracks of the coop, and are hard to get rid of.

As for dust bathing, you could put her in the dust bath every few days, and do it for her. I have done that for a few chickens who were broody or not taking care of themselves.
What do you mean by put her in the dust bath and do it for her? I am unclear how to do it for her.

I am treating for mites--including a full coop spray with permethrin and bedding change planned this weekend. I am also going to be spraying the other hens and completely spraying the nooks and crannies of their coop, while disposing of their bedding (not gonna risk compost or such).

I also just ordered some DE to put into the dust bathing areas.

Rub the dirt into and on her feathers, just as they do it themselves. It is better than them not getting the benefits of it themselves. I am not a fan of DE, due to it’s irritation to eyes and lungs of both people and the chickens, but some do use it in dust bathes.

I agree about DE being an irritant, so I don't want to use it as the actual pest control. What I am thinking is to mix it with their regular dust bathing dirt and then use that to rub onto her?

Since mites can cause anemia and eventually death, I would try to find permethrin and use it. The garden dust is better during cold weather, but both it and the spray are pretty inexpensive. DE won’t treat an outbreak.

Just in case, this is Rocky currently (after eating some egg yolks).

Attachments

• 20230612_195233.jpg
    20230612_195233.jpg
    567.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230612_194651.jpg
    20230612_194651.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230612_110725.jpg
    20230612_110725.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
I have permethrin I will be using this weekend for the whole coop, once I can get new chopped straw. But if it will help to use DE as part of a manual dust bath in the interim, I am willing to do so as well.

Back
Top Bottom