Injured leg on chicken???

She has probably pulled a muscle or strained a tendon. If she's out and about and walking then in my experience they recover without any help.
If the limp gets worse, then you could confine her in a pet carrier or similar so she can rest the leg.

She has probably pulled a muscle or strained a tendon. If she's out and about and walking then in my experience they recover without any help.
If the limp gets worse, then you could confine her in a pet carrier or similar so she can rest the leg.
I have her in the dog crate in the run. Shes trying to get out and walking back and forth, frantic like but i feel this is not as dangerous as her being in the run with the rest. I tried. She got pecked and tried to run away and that wasnt pretty. Now, my concern is this evening. Should i put her on the roost or let her stay in the safe crate in the run overnight??? Thank you.

Could you post some pictures?

Have you checked for bumblefoot?
I can certainly take some pics but at this moment heres a picture i will paint. I have her in a dog crate in the run with food and water. Its CT and 78 degrees, but i put a fan into run because shes all worked up. She was pacing the crate with beak open. At this current moment, i am witnessing a calm in the run. She has finally laid down in the crate. Her beak is open. 2 of the 5 hens are laying right near her crate, and another 2 are dust bathing right near the run entrance. All is currently calm. My big concern is this evening. Should i put her on the roost and take her off super early, or, leave her in crate overnight in the safe run?? Also, anything i can give a chicken for pain?? Thank you for your time on this matter. Her name is not Patient for nothing! 6 months old she ripped 75% of her beak off. Shes no stranger to the crate, thats for sure. I hope she does ok. I did not want to compromise her foot to look under her foot, but i will when i have an extra set of eyes. I hate to disturb her while shes calm and laying down. Cute her 2 sisters are laying right near her. I am sitting literally rightoutside the run next to her. Look girls, now we're all in cages, lol thanks again Lemon drop

I can certainly take some pics but at this moment heres a picture i will paint. I have her in a dog crate in the run with food and water. Its CT and 78 degrees, but i put a fan into run because shes all worked up. She was pacing the crate with beak open. At this current moment, i am witnessing a calm in the run. She has finally laid down in the crate. Her beak is open.
Does she have shade? Hopefully she won’t get over heated.
2 of the 5 hens are laying right near her crate, and another 2 are dust bathing right near the run entrance. All is currently calm. My big concern is this evening. Should i put her on the roost and take her off super early, or, leave her in crate overnight in the safe run??
I’m not entirely sure what you should do.
Can the crate go in the coop?
I’d be nervous about putting her on a roost since her leg hurts, and she could fly down and damage it further, although I don’t actually know what the right choice would be in this situation. You could try adding a makeshift roost into the crate and see if she roosts on it.
Also, anything i can give a chicken for pain??
I’ve read that you can give a 1/2 baby aspirin, although I haven’t tried that before so I don’t know how well it works.
I would mainly try to keep her comfortable and calm. Good luck!

Does she have shade? Hopefully she won’t get over heated.

I’m not entirely sure what you should do.
Can the crate go in the coop?
I’d be nervous about putting her on a roost since her leg hurts, and she could fly down and damage it further, although I don’t actually know what the right choice would be in this situation. You could try adding a makeshift roost into the crate and see if she roosts on it.

I’ve read that you can give a 1/2 baby aspirin, although I haven’t tried that before so I don’t know how well it works.
I would mainly try to keep her comfortable and calm. Good luck!
Hello again! The current update is:
A dog crate in the run with a 1yr old single hen who is favoring her right leg and limping on it. Shes in the crate and is acting 100% normal; behavior wise. I do not like how she keeps walking back in forth on it in the cage but feel that is better than her laying constantly and seeming really injured. I gave her fresh food and water and lined the cage with some run material and also added some springs of fresh lavender. Me and 2 of the hens laid right outside the cage next to her and i think it helped keep her calm. (Lol, i was sitting besides her in a chair tho). We all were calm. I fixed her a meal of her normal feed with some water and added a bit of hard boiled egg. She ate it all up so that was good. Overall the other 4 are not acting up. Unless i go out there, so i am trying to limit any added stimulation. The other girls are probably pissed about not getting out to free range today, and for the remainder of today, but thats ok. Patient will go nuts if they go out and she doesnt. I want to avoid the frantic pacing chickens do looking for an escape. So, this evening, at roost time, I will bring the crate in the henhouse with the roosting hens and hopefully she'll keep calm. Fortunately i have a second, smaller crate for the evening. See pic. If shes worse tomorrow, i may keep her in this smaller crate to prevent too much walking. Wondering if this crate would be more appropriate full time anyway. What do u think? Also, anyone know anything about pain relief for chickens? I dont think she needs them, (based on her behavior) but i would like to be prepared. Thanks so much whoever is reading this. Support is EVERYTHING! 🐓❤️

Attachments

• 82558474-F9A4-4633-A3F2-B439E0D845AC.jpeg
    82558474-F9A4-4633-A3F2-B439E0D845AC.jpeg
    617.5 KB · Views: 2
You need to watch her and judge if she is getting worse or getting better. Sometimes, it requires a bit of time for enough symptoms to appear so we can get a general idea of the problem.

For example, a chicken with the strained tendon or muscle will improve with rest over several days. On the other hand, a chicken with an inflamed sciatic nerve may get worse. Therefore, if it gets better, it's likely a minor injury. If it gets worse, you could be dealing with an avian virus.

You may give 81 grain chewable aspirin twice a day for pain. Pop the pill directly into the beak.

Back
Top Bottom