Injured leg on young roo

RedCoopOnWheels

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2015
NE Illinois
We have a 6 month Easter Egger Roo, he's been limping and favoring his right leg for the last week or so. He doesn't want to put his weight on it. I can't identify any wound or injury, but it seems to hurt him when I touch the mid-lower part of the leg, or gently tug his toes. The injury seems to be in the non-feathered part of the leg (but I can't tell for sure). The leg itself is hot to the touch. There is no obvious break or external would.

There is a possibility that he may have been defending a hen against a hawk -- but we don't know if that happened or not. He's a beautiful friendly guy and we would like to help him.

Should I get some sort of antibiotic? Should I make a splint?

Any suggestions welcome.

I'm not experienced with injuries all that much but it does sound like an infection. If you could start him on some antibiotics that will help with the infection.

You don't notice any other source of injury? I would think if he got hurt defending against a hawk he would have something visible to show for it, but I could definitely be wrong.

Is he eating and drinking? Make sure he is because that will ensure he has the energy to heal up.

Also check for bumblefoot on the pad of his foot, it will look like a black scab about the size of a pencil eraser.The infection from bumblefoot could spread to his leg if he has it and could be the reason he's experiencing pain in his toes and leg. If he does you'll need to perform a bumblefoot surgery unless you have a vet that will take in chickens but I'm sure that would be costly.

He could also have just sprained his leg or something from jumping maybe? I'm trying to think of some possibilities.

You could try a splint I'm not exactly sure how to do that but I'm sure there's a thread or video on YouTube how to do that. Keep us posted on how he's doing and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom