Injured little one

Salguero

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 9, 2016
My dog attacked one of my girls. She's hurt her pretty bad but alive. I'm not sure how to treat her or clean her up. Please help.

Attachments

• 16513422218632656169164697912285.jpg
    16513422218632656169164697912285.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 10
Poor girly. Treat for the shock first. Separate her from the rest of the flock and put her in say, a box or dog kennel. A dark quite room to help her feel safe and make her as comfy as possible. Give her some electrolytes in her water. Gently use a damp cloth and clean her wounds. Not sure if a saline solution would be good so I'll leave that for someone else. I'm pretty terrible at remembering all the different medications and treatment options so hopefully someone else can help you with that too.

Hopefully someone else will jump in. Chickens can make some miraculous recoveries. Hopefully she'll get better!

I’m so sorry! You want to make sure to keep her wounds as clean as possible to prevent infection, especially since this is a dog bite. When I was bitten by a dog, luckily at a neighbors who are both nurses, advised me to soak my wounds in epsom salt water multiple times a day to draw out bacteria and prevent infection. It worked well and healed up very nicely. Soaking her in an epsom salt bath so regularly would probably be uncomfortable for her and she’d never dry out, so I’d flush it with saline x3 per day until it heals and apply ointment each time. No keeping her with the rest of the flock, both to keep her wounds clean and for her state of mind. She needs a vacation :)

Poor girly. Treat for the shock first. Separate her from the rest of the flock and put her in say, a box or dog kennel. A dark quite room to help her feel safe and make her as comfy as possible. Give her some electrolytes in her water. Gently use a damp cloth and clean her wounds. Not sure if a saline solution would be good so I'll leave that for someone else. I'm pretty terrible at remembering all the different medications and treatment options so hopefully someone else can help you with that too.

Hopefully someone else will jump in. Chickens can make some miraculous recoveries. Hopefully she'll get better!
Thank you

So far so good. She has some deep wounds that appear to be healing. I thinks she's going to be ok. She's getting lots of care and lots of love. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom