Injured mallard.

JamieMcClain

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
I have a male mallard that somehow ended up in the goose pen and it did not end well. He’s missing all his feathers on his back and his face is pretty banged up. Everything looks superficial. I’ve got him inside in a spare bathroom to recover. My question is should I let him take epsom salt baths to help healing or would that hurt him?

Epsom salts in a dilute enough solution would not damage the wound bed. Alternatively, you could use a poultry spray product or an antibacterial ointment
I have been using poultry spray twice a day. Also his poop is bright green? Is that triggered by stress or is there some internal damage?

I have been using poultry spray twice a day. Also his poop is bright green? Is that triggered by stress or is there some internal damage?

Could you post a picture of the droppings?
Bright green droppings in birds can often be a sign that they are not eating enough. The greenish color is due to a bile pigment known as biliverdin. If the duck has been eating greens, that may have also caused a green look to the feces. If you are unsure of the amount the duck is eating, it may be good to start weighing him on a gram scale. I would suggest discounting any green treats if you are currently are to evaluate whether the green color is due to treats or not.

Could you post a picture of the droppings?
Bright green droppings in birds can often be a sign that they are not eating enough. The greenish color is due to a bile pigment known as biliverdin. If the duck has been eating greens, that may have also caused a green look to the feces. If you are unsure of the amount the duck is eating, it may be good to start weighing him on a gram scale. I would suggest discounting any green treats if you are currently are to evaluate whether the green color is due to treats or not.
He has been inside for 2 days. I am unsure if he is eating. He still acts pretty sore. And he has had no green treats.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 1
Yes. He’s not specifically an avian vet. More so a live stock vet but he’s seen a few of my birds before. I put his mate in with him and he seems to be much happier. Maybe she can get him to eat?

Maybe she can get him to eat?

That could help, but the pictures you provided do not look very reassuring. If you can get him to eat some feed, and drink some warm electrolyte fluids you might see how he does, but if he still shows a reluctance to eat or drink, and continues on producing the droppings, I would contact the vet.

Back
Top Bottom