Injured Pekin Duck

Amber87

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2020
On 4/14/20 we went to let our chickens and ducks out and we noticed our Pekin duck wouldn’t walk. We suspect she got up on a shelf in the coop and fell off. I looked online for other similar injuries and followed what people said they did. We have had her in a small dog crate since the day she got hurt. She has been in great spirits, eating fine and still laying eggs. I’ve been giving her baths almost daily to hopefully give her some therapy. She can stand but still won’t really put weight on the leg. I just can’t figure out what her injury is. Where we live, we don’t have a vet that takes ducks. She seems to be able to move her leg and I tried feeling her leg all the way up and it feels like the other leg. I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions as to what the injury could be. If it’s a dislocated hip, would her leg just hang or would she still be able to move? In the bath she moves it and swims. She’s been crated for almost two weeks. I figured I’d just post on here to see if anyone has some advice or suggestions. Again, we do not have a duck vet in our area. There’s one at least an hour and a half away but with all this covid19 stuff going on we don’t really want to travel unless it’s our only option. Many posts I saw said it took about 4 weeks for their duck to heal but if her injury is something that needs treatment then I don’t want to wait 4 weeks to find that out. I posted a video of her to show her leg. I couldn’t do it on here so I did it through google photos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JU4NTRM1RHC7NFD97

I was finally able to get her into a vet after about 4 weeks of crating her and not a huge improvement. The vet did xrays and she has a very broken femur. She still is in such great spirits, loves swimming still and is still laying tons of eggs which seems weird because you’d think she would be very stressed. She’s always been a super happy duck though. We have her on pain meds from the vet and will continue to crate her and have xrays done in another month. If there’s no improvement of healing or if her health seems to decline at all we will do what’s right for her sake. This has been tough as she is super special to us. Thanks for asking.

Back
Top Bottom