INJURED PULLET

Mr Beaks

Crowing
7 Years
Jan 13, 2015
Valley Springs, Ca.
My DH heard a commotion in the yard this evening and found one of our BO pullets had gotten out of her run and into the chicken yard. Well, our 1+ yo roo attacked her face, throat and head leaving her a bloody mess. I am unsure of the extent of damage as I was afraid to touch her for fear of causing more damage/pain. She has refused food & water and her beak is outlined in dried blood. She also has foam forming in the corner of her mouth. I have her in the house with me at the moment and am unsure how to help her. Should I clean the wounds and if so, with what? I considered peroxide and then applying triple antibiotic ointment but read somewhere NOT to use those things. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have no experience with this kind of thing. Thank you in advance!

Yes, clean the wounds thoroughly. You dont need peroxide though. Just irigate well with water and let area dry. Then use some kind of antibiotic ointment (the kind without pain reliver in it) on the wounds. Dont use alot, just a small dab to cover the wound. You can also cover with vetwrap if feasible.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your response! I am just now getting ready to begin as I had appointments all morning. I have a tube of triple antibiotic that contains BACITRACIN ZINC, NEOMYCIN SULFATE and POLYMYXIN B SULFATE. Are these safe? Also, when I irrigate the wounds will they start bleeding again and if so, what should I do? The wound on her throat appears very deep and I'm afraid of doing more harm than good.

I didnt look up each of those ingredients, but as long as its a normal first aid antibiotic ointment like neosporin etc then its fine. Just dont use "neosporin with pain relief" or similar. Just lightly clean the wound with water. It could start bleeding again, and if so try direct pressure first with a gauze pad etc. if it doesnt stop within a few minutes you can use salt(chicken might freak out on you), flour, corn starch, or baking soda. But direct pressure is more than likely all you will need if that. Then put a small amount of ointment on wound and wrap with a gauze pad and tape it to itself not to her feathers. Change bandage daily, apply new ointment also. After a few days you can probably leave the bandage off

Okay, I looked at the tube and there's no pain reliever in it so that's good. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. It is greatly appreciated. I will post an update to let u know how it went. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom