Injured quail leg

chick helps pls

In the Brooder
May 9, 2021
So my quails leg accidentally got stepped on when we were putting them back in their cage for the day (it’s a long complicated story) but now he can’t walk and he’s moving himself around with his head and kind of dragging his body, we were going to put him down but he seems pretty content, he struggles to get around but he’s eating and drinking just fine, his poop gets stuck to his butt though because he won’t stand up. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do with it?

So I was just out there with it and it’s trying to stand up on its own so I will leave him for a couple of days and keep a close eye on him and if he doesn’t improve then we will cull him because he seems fine other wise and I just don’t want to do anything so soon if there is a chance that he could get better but thank you foe the information
Poor thing is probably suffering. I'd end his suffering now.

H

How long has it been since the break and you will need to splint it
Maybe two days, at first we didn’t think anything was wrong with it, we thought it might just be stunned so we separated him from the others but then when he tried walking around he couldn’t. Also how do I split it, these are my first quails?

Maybe two days, at first we didn’t think anything was wrong with it, we thought it might just be stunned so we separated him from the others but then when he tried walking around he couldn’t. Also how do I split it, these are my first quails?
Ouch. That looks like more than just broken. It looks like the entire leg is dislocated. (I'm not a vet, and I'm guessing). Personally, I would cull, but if you don't want to cull, I would take it to a vet.
That looks dislocated at the hip, if it’s dragging itself by the head, it probably broke the pelvis, or whatever it’s called in birds. If the leg was just broken it would have a deep red purple area around the break, and it would probably stand on the other leg. Dragging itself by the beak means that moving the legs is impossible or excruciatingly painful, I think it’s kindest to cull it.

Well need pics and you will probably need to take them to a vet for a splint

Well need pics and you will probably need to take them to a vet for a splint
We don’t have a vet here doe quails so I kind of have to wing it sadly

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    755.4 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 28

Back
Top Bottom