Injured Racing Pigeon Found

Sounds like the little pigeon is having a lovely holiday:wee

An injured racing pigeon showed up at the barn where I worked once, we took care of him and named him Gideon, he would follow us around and freaked the horses out a bit.
He stayed for several weeks then one day flew a whole loop of the property like he was saying goodbye and flew away, I hope he made it safely back home.:)

OP. I think you are taking really good care of your lost pigeon. She is clearly very happy with you.

Could you ask the owners if you could keep her as you have go so attacked? It would be worth a go. If they said no.. then at least that shows they really care about their pigeon too. Some pigeon racing people don't treat the birds right at all and don't really care about birds that are lost or slow to return.. many will cull them as they are seen as a waste of space and waste of money to feed a 'looser' bird.

I am planning on asking them if they get in touch, after 2 weeks of them not replying, I may try and work on getting Pidove a buddy.

I have heard of the culling of 'loser' birds from other sites when looking up pigeon care and such, but from how friendly and sweet Pidove is, and how she acts like she was hand fed as a squab, I feel her owners must have really cared about her.

Sounds like the little pigeon is having a lovely holiday:wee

An injured racing pigeon showed up at the barn where I worked once, we took care of him and named him Gideon, he would follow us around and freaked the horses out a bit.
He stayed for several weeks then one day flew a whole loop of the property like he was saying goodbye and flew away, I hope he made it safely back home.:)

I'm too afraid to be outside with Pidove, with her injury and the predatory birds that have been gliding about, though she is being treated as a queen in the house. :p I hope the dove you cared for made it back home too!

I put Pidove on a box when I want both hands free, and Pidove is only about 2 feet away from me at most... And she flies over to me to settle on my lap again... Or when I am laying down, she hops on my foot, walks up my legs, and lays down on my chest! :lau

Alert: Photo spam incoming! Prepare for cuteness overload!

DSCF6018.JPG DSCF6023.JPG DSCF6024.JPG DSCF6025.JPG DSCF6028.JPG DSCF6029.JPG DSCF6031.JPG DSCF6032.JPG DSCF6033.JPG DSCF6039.JPG DSCF6040.JPG DSCF6044.JPG DSCF6048.JPG DSCF6050.JPG DSCF6052.JPG

I'm secretly hoping the owners don't get in touch with you. :oops:

Pidove seems to love you and his current living situation. Oh, and it is quite obvious that you are quite smitten for the little sweetheart too.:love

If they do, I am kinda hoping that they may let me keep her. :) But I will return her if they want her back!

Also, I think Pidove is a girl, but she could also be an immature male since s/he was born this year. :p Pidove is lucky to have landed on the crazy bird lady's yard, stray birds are like stray cats to me! :lau
"Oh no... You poor little thing? Where are you from? Oh my goodness, lemme pick you up and spoil you."

I have never seen a bird not eat a mealworm offered to it before, now I have with Pidove!

S/he went super sleek when I offered it to him/her, staring at it intensely, and when I put it down, s/he scooted backwards away from it as it crawled towards him/her, and then flew off...
I am just like "How did your owner expect you to race and fend for yourself when you don't even wanna eat bugs?" :lau

I have never seen a bird not eat a mealworm offered to it before, now I have with Pidove!

S/he went super sleek when I offered it to him/her, staring at it intensely, and when I put it down, s/he scooted backwards away from it as it crawled towards him/her, and then flew off...
I am just like "How did your owner expect you to race and fend for yourself when you don't even wanna eat bugs?" :lau
Pidove is vegan like her fellow rock doves. They do not eat bugs.:confused:
:lol:

Pidove is vegan like her fellow rock doves. They do not eat bugs.:confused:
:lol:

Tell that to the feral rock doves at town running around with sausage from sausage rolls and burger bits! :p Those gluttons prefer meat over bread, seed and pretty much anything else. I also sneakily treated them to some dry mealworms (when I was still buying them before breeding my own live ones) and it was a feeding frenzy!

Edit: Though, at least Pidove gave the grated apple a try and started eating it today. :)

Tell that to the feral rock doves at town running around with sausage from sausage rolls and burger bits! :p Those gluttons prefer meat over bread, seed and pretty much anything else. I also sneakily treated them to some dry mealworms (when I was still buying them before breeding my own live ones) and it was a feeding frenzy!

Edit: Though, at least Pidove gave the grated apple a try and started eating it today. :)
Good point! They are incredibly adaptable! Bread has almost zero nutrients, so in their case meat is a better choice, absent whole grains and seeds. Still, they are vegetarians and that diet if available is best.:)
She would probably like a romaine lettuce leaf or dandylion is another fav green.
Best wishes to you both!:frow

Good point! They are incredibly adaptable! Bread has almost zero nutrients, so in their case meat is a better choice, absent whole grains and seeds. Still, they are vegetarians and that diet if available is best.:)
She would probably like a romaine lettuce leaf or dandylion is another fav green.
Best wishes to you both!:frow

I did cut up some blackberry leaves and dandelion leaves for her, she just picked them up and tossed them... I'll keep trying like with the grated apple. :p As for Romaine lettuce, I am unsure about giving her extra watery things in case it gives her the runs.

Pidove, if her owners don't claim her soon, will also be treated to elderberries from the bush outside as it is starting to bloom, that is... If I can grab some berries before all the wild birds and pigeons eat them all!

Back
Top Bottom