Injured RI red

Jenfire11

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2022
Southern Maine
One of my ladies has a bare bottom. Been like this for a couple months. She is also laying under developed eggs (soft or broken shell). I have tried wound spray to no avail. She was put in isolation for a week with no improvement. There is no sign of mites. No sign of illness. The rest of my flock has no issues plus they are not picking on this girl. She is just under a year old at this point. Eating, drinking and pooping normally. She has access to free choice oyster shell and grit. Any ideas how to help her? Thanks.

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    397.3 KB · Views: 147
  • image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 7
I do not witness this happening when I watch them.
It's usually done when theyre on the roosts. What protein is the feed? Picking can be caused by boredom, stress,tight quarters or low protein diet.
Make sure not to add acv to metal wateres or it will make the zinc leach.

It's usually done when theyre on the roosts. What protein is the feed? Picking can be caused by boredom, stress,tight quarters or low protein diet.
Make sure not to add acv to metal wateres or it will make the zinc leach.
Website say 16% protein for the feed. I am assuming they get a little extra from their free range time and the scratch/treats. The birds have almost 10 linear feet of roosting bar space. (They also have 3 13”x13” nesting boxes, coop is 4’x6’ and run is 8’x10” with a couple plastic mirrors and a couple things to climb on.) My waterers are plastic and washed every day. How do I prevent boredom and roost pecking? This lady did not enjoy her week of isolation (even though she got extra treats, lol). Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom