Injured two-week-old Bantam Chicks

MROO

Enabler
6 Years
Feb 26, 2018
The North-Eastern Corner of Maryland
We had to do a rescue this afternoon. We let our little Nankin Bantam broody and her four almost-two-week-old babies out in the main coop today. They've been in a large dog kennel for most of her setting and since hatch. The babies could go out into the main coop through the bars of the kennel, but Mama had to stay in. Papa and the two other hens have been in the coop and none have bothered the babies at all ... until today. I'm not sure what happened, but my daughter rescued one chick who was pinned in the corner being pecked by everyone but its' mother. Poor Pepper was apoplectic!

DD rescued the chick and immediately brought it to me. It had a large patch of skin laid open on the side of its' neck. I told my daughter to go get the others, so we could check them over. It's a good thing we did! We have two babies with nasty, open wounds on their necks. One also has a broken blood feather under its' wing. It has no obvious leg injuries, but is limping. The other two were seriously stressed, but seem physically okay.

We have one VERY unhappy Mama on our hands. She's been so protective of these babies that we couldn't get near them - or her - without her drawing blood on us. Because of her nasty behavior, we talked about taking the babies out, yesterday, so we could handle them. Now I seriously wish we had done more than just talk about it. At least now, there's a chance Pepper will settle down again. In the meantime, the babies are all together and safe. We've put all four of Pepper's babies inside, in the large guinea pig cage/brooder box with Evie (two weeks older) and Jacki (five days younger.)

When things settle down completely, probably tomorrow, we plan to mark the unblemished chicks, including Evie and Jacki, with Blu-Kote toes, so we can tell them all apart as they grow. Despite the misadventure, they seem to have all accepted the change and are getting along very well. Everyone except poor Pepper, that is.

I thought about posting pictures, but if you've ever tried to spray Blu-Kote on a 10-day-old, frightened peep, you know what a mess we made. There is Blu-Kote EVERYWHERE! Two of the babies look like Easter Eggs. Not Easter Eggers, Easter EGGS! They are bright, vivid ... almost neon ... purple from their heads to the middle of their backs. As a matter of fact, so am I - purple from finger tips to wrists! Are we having fun, yet?

Next time I would recommend a run outside or an area inside where the babies cannot escape at all. It might take a while to perfect a baby-proof area. Chicks and the mother hen need to be properly integrated into the flock after hatching, thus the run. I’m glad everyone was ok!

Next time I would recommend a run outside or an area inside where the babies cannot escape at all. It might take a while to perfect a baby-proof area. Chicks and the mother hen need to be properly integrated into the flock after hatching, thus the run. I’m glad everyone was ok!
They were being properly integrated. The babies could go in and out of their nesting area like a creep. For some reason, the adults cornered the two where they couldn't reach safety quick enough. They (the adults) have been fine with these chicks for nearly two weeks, even letting them share food bowls. I don't know what turned the tables today, but something happened, and things went South very quickly.
I don't know if I'd say they were all okay, yet, but I'm hopeful. The two injured babies are huddled under the brooder. Hopefully they're just exhausted! They have their Blu-Kote and their electrolytes, so we'll have to wait and see. Fingers crossed and prayers flying!
I'll update tomorrow.

I'm confused as to why the mama wasn't allowed out with the babies to protect them? When I have broodies, they will take the babies out with the flock within a week or so. One would have them out within 24 hours of hatching. Never had a problem with the others attacking them.

I'm confused as to why the mama wasn't allowed out with the babies to protect them? When I have broodies, they will take the babies out with the flock within a week or so. One would have them out within 24 hours of hatching. Never had a problem with the others attacking them.

The babies escaped! Mama was supposed to be allowed out, but my daughter either didn't understand or hadn't gotten that far in her chores, yet. Luckily, she was just outside the coop taking care of her Sebrights when she heard the commotion, otherwise we would have lost them all, I'm sure.

So far, so good, this evening. All six babies got electrolytes and whatever food they would take by hand. They are all tucked in together under the brooder, tonight. I wish I could get a good picture of them under there, but it's too close and dark. They look like a little purple and gold patchwork pillow. Good Night, my little birdlings ...

Hmmmm, I wonder why they turned on them?
MYSTERY SOLVED! I think we know what triggered the attacks, now. This morning, the top hen (the one leading the charge) was all puffed up on an egg. The little stinker went broody on us! My guess is that the wandering peeps explored a little too close to the chosen nesting spot. Poor babies!
They're doing okay, this morning. They're up and moving around, now, although, the one with the limp, (who now goes by the unflattering moniker of "Gimpy,") only goes as far as the food and water before lowering back to the bedding. Nothing appears broken, so we're hoping that time will heal the injury. The other badly pecked baby is tentatively name "Bluebell" because of the lovely Blu-Kote (blue coat!) If she's a he, I guess he'll be Bluebeard! Then we have Rosie and Daffodil (or Rossi and Daffy.) So, so far, so good, our little "garden" is resting and recovering. Whew!

MYSTERY SOLVED! I think we know what triggered the attacks, now. This morning, the top hen (the one leading the charge) was all puffed up on an egg. The little stinker went broody on us! My guess is that the wandering peeps explored a little too close to the chosen nesting spot. Poor babies!
They're doing okay, this morning. They're up and moving around, now, although, the one with the limp, (who now goes by the unflattering moniker of "Gimpy,") only goes as far as the food and water before lowering back to the bedding. Nothing appears broken, so we're hoping that time will heal the injury. The other badly pecked baby is tentatively name "Bluebell" because of the lovely Blu-Kote (blue coat!) If she's a he, I guess he'll be Bluebeard! Then we have Rosie and Daffodil (or Rossi and Daffy.) So, so far, so good, our little "garden" is resting and recovering. Whew!
Aw that’s good! Little garden...how cute!

Back
Top Bottom