Injuried Hen from my Rooster

Thank you so much with your help. I have been spraying her wound with the
Colloidal Silver Spray when I first take off the vet wrap in the morning. I am leaving the bandage off all day and then wrapping in when I put her back in with the flock at night. I am putting the Colloidal Silver Gel on over night. The wound seems to be getting hard but one area still hasn't closed all the way. It is looking a little better. She doesn't seem to be bothering it as much as she was. Thankful for this!! The others don't seem to be bothering it either. Thanks again for your help!! Martha

I felt the underneath of my hen's wing and found a huge lump. I finally figured out that this was a tumor not just a sore. Today, my vet removed her wing. She is doing well so far and I know she will have to feel better without the weigh of her heavy wing.

Greetings Baygirl,

My goodness, what a surprise! That tumor most likely added to her weight. Poor girl, did the vet send the tumor out for testing, to see what caused it?

How is her back wound healing?

Can she balance herself without a wing?

Sorry for all the questions, but, I have never heard of a vet opting to remove a chicken's wing. This is interesting to me.

I know when I tie my hen's wings down with a scarf, they can't balance, and will fall forwards. You will probably have to add some handicap features to the environment for the hen. I had to do that for one of my girls that couldn't use her wings due to feather loss, and a swollen belly, which caused loss of balance.

You are right, animals just deal with what ever happens to them. It's us humans that have the nervous break downs. LOL! Thankfully, your girl has a caring keeper to help her through this. :thumbsup

Well, I am praying for your hen, that all goes well for her, and you too.

Keep us posted here, on BYC, as to her progress!

God Bless and good health to you and your hen. :hugs

The vet didn't send the tumor off. He was pretty sure that it was a certain type that isn't cancerous. She can balance very well without the wing. SO grateful for that. She is happy and eating very well. I put her in the coop yesterday for about an hour just to keep her part of her flock. They were good and didn't try going after her surgery area. She is on antibiotics for 7 days and hopefully things will continue to go well!! Thanks so much for caring. I will post again in a week for an update. Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom